Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

I agree entirely. There's nothing to beat a healthy diet. However I'm always sceptical of sudden claims that certain foods that we've eaten for hundreds of years are suddenly bad for you. Be they pulses, legumes or whatever.

I think as long as you eat anything in moderation it's fine. Most importantly is that peck of dirt before you die. I truly believe that modern society is too obsessed with cleansliness. Thinking back to childhood, and it's a long time now:001_smile:, I can't remember anyone having intolerances to whatever the latest intolerance is now. As a generation we were made to eat all that was put in front and that wasn't a bad thing.

Absolutely. The immune system is like any other bodily function - it needs exercise to be in good form, but also should not be overworked either. Like everything in life, there is a fine balance.

I guess that these kids with hygiene obsessed parents are raised in an almost sterile environment. Their body has had no chance to build a tolerance to germs, so as soon as they go outside they turn inside out and collapse! (I'm no doctor).

To quote Peter Griffin: " I've never seen a pigeon get sick from eating food off the floor, so what's the big whoop?"

While I agree that its good to not be over sterile with your children, Asthma is more common in farmers chidden, so there must be more going on than too much hand washing.

Have you a link to back this up? A quick Google provides no obvious evidence for this, and the top result provided me with this snippet from a study:

"Von Ehrenstein et al. conducted a cross-sectional survey of 10,163 school children in southern Germany.10 Children of farmers had a lower prevalence of asthma (OR=0.65; 95% CI: 0.39–1.09), hay fever (OR=0.52, 95% CI: 0.28–0.99), and wheeze (OR=0.55; 95% CI: 0.36–0.86) compared to children not living on farms"

Have you a link to back this up? A quick Google provides no obvious evidence for this, and the top result provided me with this snippet from a study:

"Von Ehrenstein et al. conducted a cross-sectional survey of 10,163 school children in southern Germany.10 Children of farmers had a lower prevalence of asthma (OR=0.65; 95% CI: 0.39–1.09), hay fever (OR=0.52, 95% CI: 0.28–0.99), and wheeze (OR=0.55; 95% CI: 0.36–0.86) compared to children not living on farms"

Its what I was told by a health visiter.