Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

I stopped drinking coke and other sugary drinks, just drink water or sugar free squash now I lost 7lb In 5-6 months just from cutting the sugary drinks out.

mate, that sugar free stuff is the worst. It contains aspartme....do a google search on the stuff. Its something i've been aware of long before starting this diet and have done my best to make sure the kids don't have it

Its sad that things that you would think would be ok, actually are not. Tomato sauce was a pretty obvious one, and the more you read up on it you realize just how much so. My little girl is terrible with ketchup, much like i was at her age...Not going to stop her having it but certainly limiting her portions more. But things like fresh orange juice, the kinda you get in the fridge section, you would think would be ok, but they contain a whole load of sugar. I'm mostly drinking water these days, but if out for a meal I will have fresh orange juice...its still a huge improvement over the coke I used to drink

Steve, I just did my shop and I took the time to read the ingredients list on stuff. Something I used to do regularly when I was a gym junky. Tinned crab meat, tinned tuna, mixed fruit and nuts, fruit mix, tinned shrimps, various marinades, dips, sauces etc ALL with added sugar. Check out the carbs and the carbs from sugar and it was pretty scary. I don't drink a lot of fizzy drinks now but a fair bit of orange and milk. Maybe a juicer might be in order.

I really only want to lose a bit of weight and find a bit more energy and the wife is a really picky eater anyway so a full scale change would be difficult but if I can change 70-80% of what I eat and see how I go.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

mate, that sugar free stuff is the worst. It contains aspartme....do a google search on the stuff. Its something i've been aware of long before starting this diet and have done my best to make sure the kids don't have it

Amen.

I never thought I'd be the evangelical 'my body is a temple' type. :lol: But you only get one body....

I agree entirely. There's nothing to beat a healthy diet. However I'm always sceptical of sudden claims that certain foods that we've eaten for hundreds of years are suddenly bad for you. Be they pulses, legumes or whatever.

I think as long as you eat anything in moderation it's fine. Most importantly is that peck of dirt before you die. I truly believe that modern society is too obsessed with cleansliness. Thinking back to childhood, and it's a long time now:001_smile:, I can't remember anyone having intolerances to whatever the latest intolerance is now. As a generation we were made to eat all that was put in front and that wasn't a bad thing.

I think it was Arthur Smith who suggested that the reason children today have so many allergies is that they don't eat enough turds. :lol:

I think it was Arthur Smith who suggested that the reason children today have so many allergies is that they don't eat enough turds. :lol:

There is a link between allergies and parasitic worms, which are mainly spread by treading in turds. :biggrin:

Its very strange how quickly you adapt and change to this new diet, I was a total coffee addict, but since giving up milk I found black instant coffee unpalatable (I don't take sugar in drinks) and making real coffee was a bit of a fag. I am now loving lemon tea or my real favourite just now is Twinning's liquorice tea, it delicious!!!

I gave up caffeine for different reasons so have Ben on the fruit teas for a while but only just tried the liquorice one, it's disgustingly wierd.

Think I'll stick to the apple crunch and the blood orange for now

How did you make the transition Ross? I dare not come off the pills yet but I'm going to see a herbalist. Did you just go out and buy some slippery elm from holland and barrett or something?

Yes I just started in the meadow sweet on sat to relieve heartburn and it's bloody working

Amazing

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App