Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

I just listen to the theory, if it adds up I take it on board.

If your in the same position as Tony S and are fit as a flea on your current diet great, but I have high blood pressure (HT) for no known reason, I'm not over weight, leed an active life and my blood levels (cholesterol, etc) are all good. The doctors don't know why its high, they want to put me on meds, I'm less than keen.

I heard on the net that spikes in blood sugar can cause HT, it makes sense IMO, I know that on my old diet I would get sugar highs and then crash, plus I felt bloated after bread or spuds, so I thought this diet was worth a shot.

I feel so much better than I did, I often had headaches in the afternoons, I put them down to dehydration, but I've not had once since cutting down the carbs and my BP is consistently lower.

Maybe your B/P was down to stress Huck ? Mine was . What with doing tree work , quotes , invoicing and on top of that log sales along with maintenance its never ending . Cut yourself some slack . Family time is a mega boost to all of us . Lower Carbs has helped me to be fair . I have had one blow out since starting on this quest :thumbup1:

After a couple of weeks with hardly any refined sugar I had a slab of chocolate cake today! Yummy, but I really felt the sugar rush for an hour or so after. I was really buzzing!

I'm taking a fairly relaxed approach to the paleo diet, just eating more whole foods and less grains. Feeling pretty good.

Ive stopped the pills and am in the process of finding a natural alternative to repair the damage of the pills

I'm currently drinking slippery elm which is amazing stuff when you have read about it

Still loving the paleo way of thinking, it's been 3 weeks now and I can't see me going back

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

How did you make the transition Ross? I dare not come off the pills yet but I'm going to see a herbalist. Did you just go out and buy some slippery elm from holland and barrett or something?

How come so many of these 'wonder diet' authors and exponents are American? Is it their long tradition of Evangelism and travelling medicine shows?

Seems to me that people long for a crutch and along comes the the latest clean cut, smiling Evangelist and the bandwagon's soon full to capacity. Once on it's difficult to jump ship as saving face would cause too much embarrassment. A bit like The Emperor's New Clothes.

Believe nothing you hear and half you see:001_smile:

To a certain degree this is true, but we also need to question the 'establishment' equally rigorously. There is a lot of vested interest in medical matters from big pharma companies and big medical individuals who have build careers on current accepted thinking. However, since nobody understands how everything works, there are bound to be new discoveries which contradict current thinking.

Human history is littered with examples - it was only 5/600 years ago that Gallileo Gallilei was persecuted for stating that the earth rotated around the sun.

Another medical example is mercury amalgam for tooth fillings, but this one is still running.

Or how about new mums in the sixties thru to the ninties being told by the NHS that we no longer do this old fashioned breast feeding lark, but now they are desperate to get mums breast feeding.

As for the colestrol link to heart disease, this one has been rumbling in the shadows for decades at least and there will be increasing light shone on this subject, but only once big pharma have made enough money out of the current drugs and need another cash cow.

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer - nobody can give any definitive answers as to what is good or bad and we are all subtly different and respond in different ways to the same inputs.

However, I am increasingly sceptical about the safety of modern foods, the regulatory oversight of the industry and the motivations of the manufacturers and would tend to favour a diet that has been tried and tested over mellenia, rather than the very recent modern offerings

Terry

Edited by teepeeat

To a certain degree this is true, but we also need to question the 'establishment' equally rigorously. There is a lot of vested interest in medical matters from big pharma companies and big medical individuals who have build careers on current accepted thinking. However, since nobody understands how everything works, there are bound to be new discoveries which contradict current thinking.

Human history is littered with examples - it was only 5/600 years ago that Gallileo Gallilei was persecuted for stating that the earth rotated around the sun.

Another medical example is mercury amalgam for tooth fillings, but this one is still running.

Or how about new mums in the sixties thru to the ninties being told by the NHS that we no longer do this old fashioned breast feeding lark, but now they are desperate to get mums breast feeding.

As for the colestrol link to heart disease, this one has been rumbling in the shadows for decades at least and there will be increasing light shone on this subject, but only once big pharma have made enough money out of the current drugs and need another cash cow.

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer - nobody can give any definitive answers as to what is good or bad and we are all subtly different and respond in different ways to the same inputs.

However, I am increasingly sceptical about the safety of modern foods, the regulatory oversight of the industry and the motivations of the manufacturers and would tend to favour a diet that has been tried and tested over mellenia, rather than the very recent modern offerings

Terry

I agree entirely. There's nothing to beat a healthy diet. However I'm always sceptical of sudden claims that certain foods that we've eaten for hundreds of years are suddenly bad for you. Be they pulses, legumes or whatever.

I think as long as you eat anything in moderation it's fine. Most importantly is that peck of dirt before you die. I truly believe that modern society is too obsessed with cleansliness. Thinking back to childhood, and it's a long time now:001_smile:, I can't remember anyone having intolerances to whatever the latest intolerance is now. As a generation we were made to eat all that was put in front and that wasn't a bad thing.

Funny but as I sat at the breakfast table this morning having my last go on toast and cereal I got to reading the ingredients. Orange juice, tomato sauce, cereal etc all full of sugar.

Yes its cheap and possibly addictive, food producers love it.

Funny but as I sat at the breakfast table this morning having my last go on toast and cereal I got to reading the ingredients. Orange juice, tomato sauce, cereal etc all full of sugar.

Its sad that things that you would think would be ok, actually are not. Tomato sauce was a pretty obvious one, and the more you read up on it you realize just how much so. My little girl is terrible with ketchup, much like i was at her age...Not going to stop her having it but certainly limiting her portions more. But things like fresh orange juice, the kinda you get in the fridge section, you would think would be ok, but they contain a whole load of sugar. I'm mostly drinking water these days, but if out for a meal I will have fresh orange juice...its still a huge improvement over the coke I used to drink