Paleo diet for arborists

Steve Bullman

Everything in moderation

I'm not on a diet (using this in reference to what constitutes a "diet", not for weight loss)anymore (did the 5:2 thing and it works), just find myself eating healthily, with a little treat every now and again. Have the odd day where a vegetable doesn't even pass my lips but they are few and far between. The key is exercise, and plenty of it. Stay active and I can eat what I like, within moderation...

What works for one man, may not work for another. I'm with Tony S on this one, I must be invincible...!

(quick, where can I touch some wood:lol:)

I'm not sure how individuals can ever hope to shape the natural selection that may or may affect our distant descendants by avoiding particular foods. Its not something I'm going to lose sleep over. If my children find out the diet I've brought them up on is proven to be harmful they can change it right there and then. :)

And anyway, even if we don't know the long term effects of relying on 'modern grain' on a sufficient timeframe to satisfy everyone (how long is long?) we do know the long term effects of relying on "historic" grains - endless toil, famine and ergotism. :D

Tony, didn't mean to come over as preaching - just trying to think it through.

Agreed, it is difficult on an individual basis to make these decisions and as stated I think it may be a natural control on us getting too big for our boots. I dont worry too much about it just got a bit philosophical about it and generally try to have variety in my diet on the basis that anything harmful is diluted by only being a small part of my diet.

The bit I forgot to go into was the increasingly intensive human fiddling with the food chain, inferred by shoota above that has gone on in the last 1-200 years. I do think this will come back to bite us in a few generations.

Crops grown with the priorities being yeild etc etc above nutrition and the changes being made without fully understanding how things work and the implications and knock-ons

As Rob says - everything in moderation

:thumbup1:

true - to all the above but leaving out the parasites/disease/pesticides side

the actual wheat when thinking paleo was of a higher quality due to A, growing under a natural timelimit - rather than engineered to grow faster. the nutrients taken up by the plant are also thought to be cleaner due to the nature of today's harsh fertilisation and continual use of crops on the same piece of land (even with crop rotation) so the corn had more taste and vitamins.

now ive only read about most of this rather than first hand - i come from a sheep farming family rather than arable.

in my mind it comes down to the huge public demand for the product has forced the plant via genetics/dna work to have lost its quality and now favours the speed growth and quantity of grains per head of wheat - i guess similar to battery/partfree range farming vs low impact fully free range chicken. the taste is always better from the latter.

Edited by ShooTa
mong spelling

So how are you guys getting on who have been following this diet. How strict are you being with it? Are you missing any of the foods you've cut out?

Personally I am not missing anything really with the exception of cheese but I have added a little bit of this in to wash down my wine with :biggrin:

Other than that, bread not missing at all. Used to eat a lot of crackers with cheese but have taken them out. Can't way I was ever a huge potato fan, its just one of those things I ate because it was considered a staple, and was a cheap way to eat. Chocolate I thought was going to be a stumbling block, but again and not missing it at all. I do have the odd bit of dark chocolate, but have no cravings to eat any amount. In fact yesterday on the way home I was a bit hungry so stopped and got a small bar of dark chocolate...by the time I finished the bar I was actually finding it quite sickly. Just a few weeks ago I could have happily polished off a large cadburys bar in one sitting :biggrin:

Coke and redbull, not missing them at all. Had a cracking skull ache for the first week but after that all cleared up i've honestly never felt better!

Dinners a bit of a challenge, trying to think of new things to do with food. This evening was lambs liver with onions, farm sausages and broccoli

Gotta say dinner is the harder one for me too. If been using your smoothie idea this last week. 3 eggs, banana, a Handful each of blueberries and raspberries, and coconut milk. Lovely, and I wouldn't know the eggs were there if I hadn't made it myself. Might add some milled flax seed.

Lunch is easy. Mixed leaves with pulled beef, pork or prawns. Mixed nuts and seeds and dried fruit to snack on.

I still take milk with tea, and brown sugar with coffee. And I still enjoy a glass of red in the evenings. If I go out I drink cider now as opposed to lager.

I don't miss bread at all, though I've recently started exercising (joined DefenceLab) and do sometimes feel faint after a hard warm up.

Next goal is to cut down on booze and kick the Rollies.

Gotta say dinner is the harder one for me too. If been using your smoothie idea this last week. 3 eggs, banana, a Handful each of blueberries and raspberries, and coconut milk.

The smoothies are lush, but we getting a bit expensive. Thankfully I have now found a cheaper option after visiting a local farmshop. They have a freezer section with loose frozen fruit by the scoop. Just bought a massive bag of summer fruits for £4 which should last me about 10 days I reckon.

Try these cool books chaps

Heaps of different styles for paleo

The paleo solution Robb wolf

Practical paleo Diane sanfilippo

Supercharged food lee Holmes

Websites

http://Www.eatdrinkpaleo.com.au

I'm really enjoying the food and hope to keep it up for many years to come I also feel very well within myself

As they you are what you eat

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Its very strange how quickly you adapt and change to this new diet, I was a total coffee addict, but since giving up milk I found black instant coffee unpalatable (I don't take sugar in drinks) and making real coffee was a bit of a fag. I am now loving lemon tea or my real favourite just now is Twinning's liquorice tea, it delicious!!!