Unimog cranes.

Buzz

Skyhuck, looks a nice outfit,

attachment.php?attachmentid=2067

However I am a little worried due to a safety concern & possible braking of C & U law’s witch if it were to result in an accident would result in book throwing at you or if you were just stopped in a routine check would result in a potential big fine.

I assume by the looks of the trailer it is a 13t Müller Mitteltal with a Palfinger crane mounted on the drawbar just in front of the body?

can you tell me the dead weight of the crane witch should be on the makers plate, I am guessing its in the range of 1250kg to 1500kg?

can you tell me the class of VED under witch you run the Unimog? (truck or AMV)

can you tell me the approximate weight of the unimog how you normally run it & its GVW (guessing 10000kg GVW if a U1600)

Can you tell me the size of the towing eye that is fitted to the trailer (I.e. 40mm/50mm/57mm internal diameter)

Can you tell me the load specs of the towing eye ID plate witch should be on it (D, Dc, V, etc) or a clear photo of the plate. (and appropriate full wording next to the weight if not D, Dc, V)

Can you tell me the load specs of the towing coupling on the Unimog witch should be on the makers ID plate or just the modal number or a clear photo of it. (and appropriate full wording next to the weight)

Can you tell me the distance the crane centre is from the towing eye, also the body length & the distance from the transverse body centre line to the towing eye as well as axels centreline to towing eye.

The resion I as the above is because I believe if the trailer is fitted with the towing eye I think & in all probability your Unimog is also fitted with a small selection of possible couplings of witch >70% of them will be unsuitable due to the various imparted forces witch gives your combination a very high risk of separating due to fatigue failure with the inevitable consequences, this is because 99% of people don’t understand how to interpret the mass & force limits given on towing eye & towing coupling once you get above 3.5t trailers.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi b101uk,

I don't know all the technical info you ask for,but what i can tell you is,its a fortuna trailer built to order for me,it was designed and built to have a crane fitted to it.

The eye on the trailer is twice the thickness of the standard eye for a 13.5 ton trailer.And you have told the auto pin up to unhitch it.The trailer is built to HGV standard and has ABS.

The mog is a 10.5 tonner.

Also palfinger took all the dimensions of the trailer and steel thicknesses ect and were happy.

Also crane weighs 1250kg

Would this work ? - behind the cab of a 1650 unimog (approx. GVW 10 ton).

http://www.jww-media.com/media/uptruckcenter/page/f61z_usa.pdf

Would it be possible to keep the standard size chip body, only shift it back to accommodate the crane ?

I would be inclined to rear mount the crane,yes you could keep a chip body.You would need the watch your weight though.

Give A C Price a ring on 01524242333,they are the ones to talk to imo:151:

Cheers Ed and skyhuck.

I`m not really in a position to buy your crane just yet.

The truck I have now is fine (iveco 7.5 e15). Actually Ed, you`ve seen it. I`ll have had it for 9 years in Sept. If and when it gives up the ghost I want to know what I should replace it with.

I like the idea of a 18 ton truck for big jobs. But then I`d want to keep my 7.5 ton for everyday stuff. I`m looking for a one truck solution to service my one-driver, one- crew outfit.

The narrowness of the `Mogs, compared to an 18 tonner, appeals to me - for backing into driveways.