who gets invoiced?

onyx landscaping/fencing

A friend of the family is away for x-mass and has been away since Saturday. Got an email from him this morning to say a very large ash tree at the bottom of his garden had fallen across the road some time on mon/tus and the police had called out someone to clear the road. Been down this morning to have a look and as you would expect on a call out the minimum has been done to get the road open. As it stands now there is about 10' and the root plate left on his side, a load of brash and rings left on the side of the road, and the crown is on some waste ground on the other side of the road and about a 10' gap that has been cleared to let cars through.

Any way his question is

A. Who pays for the call out work that has been done?

B. Can I give him a price to finish off clearing up without stepping on anyone's toes

I have never done call out work for the police/LA so have no idea how it works

Your friend will be liable for any costs incurred as a result of removing the tree from the highway. The local authority will normally give you the opportunity to arrange for a contractor of your choice (due to them being correctly qualified and insured) to remove it or you can ask for the council to do the work on your behalf i.e. either using their own staff or one of there preferred contractors.

Looks like hed have to paid who ever it was that attended the call out and could you not just do the rest as a normal working day in the new year!

Call outs as said are just to make the tree safe and in this case to re open the road again.

I only went and had a look as I was going past his house so yes I would be doing it as part of a normal days work. He isn't back till Monday and the only reason he knew the tree was down was his next door neighbours emailed him. To be fair the clean up isn't going to be that much of a big deal

Your friend will be liable for any costs incurred as a result of removing the tree from the highway. The local authority will normally give you the opportunity to arrange for a contractor of your choice (due to them being correctly qualified and insured) to remove it or you can ask for the council to do the work on your behalf i.e. either using their own staff or one of there preferred contractors.

You can use whoever you want to clear it up. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the LA and they certainly cant set any conditions. If the tree owner clears it up himself he is perfectly entitled to and that wouldn't be insured.

A friend of the family is away for x-mass and has been away since Saturday. Got an email from him this morning to say a very large ash tree at the bottom of his garden had fallen across the road some time on mon/tus and the police had called out someone to clear the road. Been down this morning to have a look and as you would expect on a call out the minimum has been done to get the road open. As it stands now there is about 10' and the root plate left on his side, a load of brash and rings left on the side of the road, and the crown is on some waste ground on the other side of the road and about a 10' gap that has been cleared to let cars through.

Any way his question is

A. Who pays for the call out work that has been done?

B. Can I give him a price to finish off clearing up without stepping on anyone's toes

I have never done call out work for the police/LA so have no idea how it works

He may or may not be asked to pay for the works to re open the road.

Depending on the authority most don't charge for reactive emergency works but in these financially strapped times that may change

You can use whoever you want to clear it up. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the LA and they certainly cant set any conditions. If the tree owner clears it up himself he is perfectly entitled to and that wouldn't be insured.

It normally would be insured, since it wouldn't be for hire or reward, under his household contents insurance. It's surprising just how much you are covered for under this - usually about £3M of public liability.

Alec

Not heard of many landowners being 're build for callouts too make a road passable but some have received a bill if the remaining tree/brash is a hazard to road.

Some but not all La's can be funny about landowners working on the roadside which is effectively their land with chainsaws if unqualified and without any form of traffic management so may insist On a qualified insured company carry out the works.

On a lighter note better be quick or them woodpixys will have the ringed up Wood away in no time at all!