Reverse light/fog light

Guss109

I was thinking about this thread this morn as I want the same result.

I thought of going about it slightly different though.

I'm putting the tail-lights on 1 pin rather than two (it's fused to power sidelights plus three marker lights= 20W, but I've got only one marker light+led sides) and put the reversing light on there.

They'll need a switch-over switch (reverse/light) on both the trailer and vehicle, so I can use the trailer normally behind another vehicle and another trailer behind mine.

The main advantage I thought would be that this way I cannot occidentally leave the fog-light switched off as would be possible in the suggestion above, and having to get out of the vehicle to switch the reversing lights on would be a pain too.

Can anyone see any problems I might run in to with the above solution?

Have you actually tried reversing using the fog light? On my old LDV I had a reverse light one side and fog light the other. I would often flick the fog light on for reversing...its surprisingly bright

Fog light is good, for a little more light I sometimes put my foot just on the brake, quite a bit more light still.

But,

It won't tell the numpty behind me I want to reverse a bit so I can get off the road...

Have you actually tried reversing using the fog light? On my old LDV I had a reverse light one side and fog light the other. I would often flick the fog light on for reversing...its surprisingly bright

Now why didn't I think of that before. Brilliant.

Dave

I'm now thinking the same with a separate conecter as I've ran the wires in and earthed it on the trailer chassis. Then thought it the easiest idea is just to keep it a separate thing as I'd still have the working fog light and be legal if I get pulled again by the nice men at vosa

Why not do like you originally wanted and use the fog light wire for the reverse and fit a simple switch to the back of the trailer to rob a live off the tail lights when you need fog.

Bob

I was thinking about this thread this morn as I want the same result.

I thought of going about it slightly different though.

I'm putting the tail-lights on 1 pin rather than two (it's fused to power sidelights plus three marker lights= 20W, but I've got only one marker light+led sides) and put the reversing light on there.

They'll need a switch-over switch (reverse/light) on both the trailer and vehicle, so I can use the trailer normally behind another vehicle and another trailer behind mine.

The main advantage I thought would be that this way I cannot occidentally leave the fog-light switched off as would be possible in the suggestion above, and having to get out of the vehicle to switch the reversing lights on would be a pain too.

Can anyone see any problems I might run in to with the above solution?

you would be better adding something like this

Waterproof 12V Accessory Power Socket with Twist lock Plug - Marine 12 volt V B | eBay

just take a live and earth from the existing reverse lamp maybe use LED lights as they draw less current

Funny this thread should appear again as we were speaking about it today. I tried taking a feed from the reverse light and earthing it of the trailer chassis but it didn't work so I'm going with the feed of the fog lights and a switch. Good idea on the fog lights Steve will also give that a try tomorrow night.

change the lens cover on the fog light to a white one and just push the fog light switch when you feel you need to reverse and tell someone you are reversing. No wiring, no switches to change and you can always just put the red lens back on when you are going on a dual carriageway/motorway/past a VOSA checkpoint