What to consider.. Pricing a job

samthornton1990

The price of the job shouldn't be dictated by distances or equipement. It's what it's worth. Ask the customer what he wants to pay for the job.

If the job is worth £50, then it's up to you to deduct your expenses and then see if it's worthwhile for you to do it .

I asked him what he wanted for it and he didn't know.

And I wanted to ask why he didn't want to do (He's a builder/joiner). Only reason I can imagine is cause he's doing the rest of the house up and just wants someone else to do the garden...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of 7 foot trees and couple of bushes, thats 4 little cuts for the chainsaw, can't the owners do it themselves for crying out loud,with a bushman/hacksaw, if they cant do this how do they manage with other aspects of their lives? A 7 foot tree is only a medium size christmas tree incomparrison.

What a ridiculous post!!:001_rolleyes:

We all, each and every day pay people to do all manner of things we could do ourselves, but chose to pay others to do, clean our windows, service vehicles, prepare food, etc,etc.

The length of this thread goes to show how emotive this subject is, plenty of advice available but no coherent answer as to what price, but luckily you didnt ask people for a price you asked them what you should consider.

A builder in our village asked me why I hadnt invited him to quote for an extension on our house. I explained that I though he would be too expensive for us. His reply has been with me ever since when dealing with this sort of issue.

"I dont mind if folks think Im expensive or cheap, I always quote a price for which I would be happy to do the job properly, I just ask that folks do me the decency of inviting me to quote"

What a ridiculous post!!:001_rolleyes:

We all, each and every day pay people to do all manner of things we could do ourselves, but chose to pay others to do, clean our windows, service vehicles, prepare food, etc,etc.

Well i agree with you up to a point, but as it transpires the owner is a builder, who's used to getting his hands dirty etc. For say an hours work that isnt too physically demanding, dangerous, or particullary skilled say, i for one would be having a go at myself to save money thats looks like it is going to be in £000,s wouldn't you. :001_smile: come on man i do have a point..... my cooking is so bad i can even burn water, but all the rest of your examples i do it myself. lol.

I gave a simple answer 2 pages ago.It really only takes a quick answer and was given.If you look at most of the advise given as what to charge you will see that £120 seems to be agreed answer to the lads question.It's now his choice as what to do.Either take the advise given or not.Simple

I gave a simple answer 2 pages ago.It really only takes a quick answer and was given.If you look at most of the advise given as what to charge you will see that £120 seems to be agreed answer to the lads question.It's now his choice as what to do.Either take the advise given or not.Simple

:001_huh:

What you need to remember is that your builder mate has his own daily rate. He's a professional and quotes for his professional time and expertise. If you have an idea in your head of what you reckon he gets for a daily rate, then you should be aiming for similar at the very least. Ignore the fact you're just starting out. Get into your head that you too are also offering a professional service.

How long is the job going to take you (ignore how long the others on here will take). It's how long it will take you personally. If its a couple of hours then it's a half day rate.

Taking stuff off at ground level I assume a chain will get blunt or even completely goosed. Add on the cost of a chain and a tenner for fuel. If the chain stays sharp, you're up on the day with money for a replacement for the next job.

The fact the customer could do it himself is irrelevant. The fact you could take it down with your grandma's false teeth is also irrelevant. You go in professionally dressed, with a professional saw, ticketed, and with your insurance covering the job.

When I started out I got told by a business adviser and an accountant that "Mates Rates" kill businesses. Don't under-sell yourself. (Favourite topic on here!)

I've had quotes rejected by mates. It now doesn't bother me in the slightest.

In ten years time it'll be Stevie's £30 on the way home, but just now it's your kit repair, insurance, kit replacement, chains, fuel, advertising, business cards, food on the table, that must drive your prices.

My tuppence, hope it helps?

Nice one bud! I haven't even thought about insurance and stuff at the moment! Another thing I need to look into for future reference. Still need to ring the council up to see about TPOs on the place!

I doubt there will be a TPO on a 7' high tree! And I wouldn't bother about insurance yet, you could probably do all that work with a silky.