Chipper Wear and tare

telhol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grease is so much cheaper than bearings or hassel,check if your main shaft bearings require purging (pumping enough grease in to push out the old) and if so,do it regular.

I used stick a strip of gaffa tape to the inside of the "bonnet" in which was written when I last changed the oil,anti freeze,changed belts or anvil.I'd simply rip it off and attach another when I ran out of space on it.

Also change the bolts that hold the knives onto the cutting wheel or drum often,thats alot cheaper to do than extract a bolt that has lost its head.I think changing the bolts is an item often overlooked.

Also try and not feed any sledge hammers into BC1800's,it wrecks the blades,puts a big dent in the chute and hits the back of the chip box like cannon ball!

[Also try and not feed any sledge hammers into BC1800's,it wrecks the blades,puts a big dent in the chute and hits the back of the chip box like cannon ball!/QUOTE]

...and dont bung your chipper up with work mates and end up like this poor bastard..

And with the amount of potheads operating ever larger machinery the chances of something similar in the UK is just a matter of time.

Why whats wrong with timberwolfs

I think it may be due to the fact they use aluminium fins to propel the chip, these get worn quickly.

Don't worry to much about it though, your chipper will do you just fine and pay for itself.

Treefitter is a just maintenance crazy, all his kit is kept in tip top condition, i've never worked with such an old chipper, as most outfits would of blown theirs up and bought a new one.

It just goes to show though if your willing to spend the time you can keep anything going for a long time, and increase your value for money/profit.

Best piece of advice i could give to someone who has stretched to buy one themselves is;

Service it regularly, never hire it out unless you are with it and keep it chained to something else!

I have recently been subbing out at £280 per day with mine, that goes to show how much i value mine!

Dont abuse it, dont let it be abused, treat it better than the wife, and it will pay you back!