Chain sharpening

Sciadopitys

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading this thread shows the differences of opinion and experiences that Arborists and Forestors hold over saw sharpening.

For what it's worth here's my suggestions

Normal sharpening always with a file [change your file with your chain]

Heavy damage use a grinder either 240v back at yard or 12v on site/back of the truck

Carry spare chains and use them instead of sharpening on site with long bars. Time is money right.

Try Multicut triple chromed chain from Oregon, it will last 4-5 times longer than normal chain before sharpening and can be sharpened with a normal file, these are great for stumps, skidder extracted wood, sleepers, burnt wood and your favourite the fence staple buried in the wood.

All Oregon dealers can get this just put an M before your normal chain i.e 22LP becomes M22LP [available only in chisel in most chains including M91VX for your climbing saws]

At the APF in Dumfries and at Ragley we demonstrated Multicut v normal chain on old dirty sleepers results 5-6 cuts normal before dulling off with normal chain 20-22 cuts before dulling with Multicut, 3 rubs of a file around both chains then repeated all day long.

Several mentioned bouncing the grinder, this is by far the best way to effect a sharpen without blueing and overheating the cutter and when needed a grinder will save you time and money, i would suggest a full 240v bench grinder as long term it will keep you using chains that you might throw away, as i said a good file is always best and i'm pleased to read that some of you take care with profiling the rakers.

Les

Area Mgr

Oregon Cutting Systems Division

Hi buster that is the best Avatar i have seen some gob. I did not know burnt timber will dull a chain you learn something everyday. Same as you i file my chains and i have got a grinder and sharpen badly damaged chains on wet days i too bounce the wheel so they don't get to hot and the chains last right to the last, and you get your moneys worth:001_smile:

Les, i have some of that triple chrome chain.....it is good stuff, but is hard to sharpen, and does dull the files pretty quick. i have one of my processor.

i remember the demo in dumfries, i must admit we just thought it was a gimic, being a sceptical jock:blushing: