bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

Thanks chaps,

It was good fun to make

High grade of 16mm birch plywood is what I used

Planned it out on Google sketchup to work out sizes of the different pieces for minimal wastage. There was 11-12 pieces that I cut out to begin with.

Glued two pieces together at a time lining up the rim edge, then glued them together in stages lining up were the rim would be, hoping the bottom would line up too!

Found that a scaper worked better than a bowl gouge, the heat from all the glues builds up a bit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks chaps,

It was good fun to make

High grade of 16mm birch plywood is what I used

Planned it out on Google sketchup to work out sizes of the different pieces for minimal wastage. There was 11-12 pieces that I cut out to begin with.

Glued two pieces together at a time lining up the rim edge, then glued them together in stages lining up were the rim would be, hoping the bottom would line up too!

Found that a scaper worked better than a bowl gouge, the heat from all the glues builds up a bit.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Andy, very decent of you!:thumbup1:

Lots of sanding, then several thin coats of polyurethane clear varnish believe it or not, think I got away with it because it was plywood!

When I make another I would not use the varnish finish, instead I would use sanding sealer followed by acrylic lacquer if I wanted that sort of shine.

Yep, they're stupidly soft screws, was a thread about it on another forum recently, you're not alone in round ing them off. Best to change them for some better quality ones, I'm going to once I can be arsed to get my old (rounded) ones out.

Hi, yeah, stainless screws may be better than the originals and although obviously rust proof are still quite soft and would be even more awkward to remove for various reasons if there was a problem.

`Unbrako` are a recommendation for top quality high tensile Allen screws and Allen keys,very unlikely to round off, a proper engineering product, I`m assuming it`s an ordinary Allen screw, if so should be easily available. Sorry to butt in, cheers

Lots of sanding, then several thin coats of polyurethane clear varnish believe it or not, think I got away with it because it was plywood!

When I make another I would not use the varnish finish, instead I would use sanding sealer followed by acrylic lacquer if I wanted that sort of shine.

Think you made the right choice with the polyurethane as I have used the acrylic varnish and it leaves a rather pale look on end grain and not the depth of colour you have achieved. A picture of our kitchen cupboard. The carcase is finished with polyurethane and the shelves with the acrylic.

DSC03537.jpg.ce24d15ce86116b25a73960daf6a7f67.jpg