bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

Good effort Dan

Thanks bob and geoff. I think ive got the wall thickness the same. It feels like it haha. Just less than .5" thick.

Left the foot on to re turn at a later date. 👍.

Now ive been watching videos for ages now. since doing this small turning and have a new found respect to all turners. This took about 2.5hours as i kept it small and slow, not going above 600rpms nearer the end

Just a quick one.

I picked up a cheap lathe to try some wood turning a while back. It has a face plate but no chuck grabby thing like I've seen on here. (only a basic machine mart number)

I figure that I screw the blank to the plate to do the base of the bowl first.

How do I fasten it to the face plate again to turn the inside without leaving screw holes in the base? Glue?

I have large blanks in case that matters. (around 15-16")

Any advice would be great. Have a day without wife and son tomorrow so want to have a go. (lathe has been sat in shed since son was born lol)

Nice start Dan, how do you like the lathe?

Thanks bobh👍

Since ive never used a lathe before and so nothing to compare it too. I really love this lathe. The simple 5 preset speed which you can choose the rpms and with no pulleys to faff around with it its fantastic.

I wanted to make another straight after the first bowl lol

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1426275625.325313.jpg.ab8ef797aa87d6e211130a0b6bd3f58c.jpg

Another rough bowl ive done.

The first is now the babys and this one is our middle (finlay's) bowl, which he decided on.

Ive just gotta get used to which speeds are bestand just carry on pratacing

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1426275615.815717.jpg.b4705e0dcba6489bbf70283f8c260465.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1426275607.590493.jpg.84b697887a90771633d7c07c4598f6ff.jpg

Just a quick one.

I picked up a cheap lathe to try some wood turning a while back. It has a face plate but no chuck grabby thing like I've seen on here. (only a basic machine mart number)

I figure that I screw the blank to the plate to do the base of the bowl first.

How do I fasten it to the face plate again to turn the inside without leaving screw holes in the base? Glue?

I have large blanks in case that matters. (around 15-16")

Any advice would be great. Have a day without wife and son tomorrow so want to have a go. (lathe has been sat in shed since son was born lol)

Unsure bud.

Unless you make a foot and drill into that