bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

The HC burr is probably one of the best / favourite pieces I have made so far ,so I will probably keep it for myself , thanks for the comments , I do not give any tuition of any sort in a formal manner but if any one is fairly local ( ie not Scottish islands ... ! ) something could probably be arranged . There is plenty of guidance in print and the internet of how to hollow such pieces , and in essence it is quite simple really ( bit like felling trees ) but knowing HOW to do it is a bit different from being ABLE to do it especially getting it right every time ... Terry

Thought it might have raised a few eyebrows.....haha

BUT

My mum lives just outside Taunton so its not quite such a mad idea

So highlands is ok? just not islands? Aberdeen maybe???

The HC burr is probably one of the best / favourite pieces I have made so far ,so I will probably keep it for myself , thanks for the comments , I do not give any tuition of any sort in a formal manner but if any one is fairly local ( ie not Scottish islands ... ! ) something could probably be arranged . There is plenty of guidance in print and the internet of how to hollow such pieces , and in essence it is quite simple really ( bit like felling trees ) but knowing HOW to do it is a bit different from being ABLE to do it especially getting it right every time ... Terry

Hi Terry the HC burr form is absolutely stunning - I can see why you would want to keep that one! You often see that shape around but with a hidden join at the neck rather than one piece of wood.

Can you tell me have you made that piece in one go or did you rough it out and then finish it at a later date when seasoned? Do you use the same process for all your hollow forms or would certain woods suit being turned to completion in one go as opposed to a second mounting. (I am imagining some of you hollow forms with lots of holes would be very difficult to remount after they had moved during seasoning)

Hi Pan , yes you are right I turned it from green ( damp ) wood in one go , I then leave it till surface dry and then sand it , and apply an oil finish , it is distorted , though not as much as some others I have made from Oak for example . It gives them a nice "organic" appearance rather than a highly engineered / crafted appearance , a bit like something dug up by an archaeologist or a seed like thing found at the base of an ancient tree . Glad you like it , do you make things yourself ? Terry...

Hi Terry, I've been turning for just over a year now doing all the usual bowls etc But having been inspired by the likes of you and Flames I have started doing more natural edge stuff and hollow forms. Choosing odd pieces of wood out of my own arb waste rather than the straight grained stuff I used to turn with.

Had some old willow pollards that I did a few n/e bowls with but some of the wood, although highly figured, was very puckey so I left the foot on thinking I would get a better finish when it was drier. Problem is now they are so out of round I'm not sure I've left enough wood to recut them!

Had a couple of field maple burrs that I've turned in your style with big gaping holes in the side. I did turn these in one go, as I got a better finish off the tools and they even sanded quite well being green without the paper clogging up. I have got them drying indoors at the moment and will leave them a few weeks before I pick off the odd bit of loose bark and then give them an oil finish.

I noticed on some of your pieces you blacken the insides which I think enhances the outside well when you have a hole. On these bits of Maple the holes/gaps are so big that I'm not sure whether to blacken them or not. I'll try and put some pictures up when they are finished.