salary review

Mr Oz

i had a word with manager a few month back about salary review and basically she said they haved checked it and they think im on avarage wage for what i do so no pay rise but ive asked for more training.ive just passed B+E and asked if they would pay for my RFS if not i ll pay it myself.Im hoping i ll be brave enough to start my own bussines when the time is right.But for now i ll stick with employment and do my best for the firm,:thumbup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Labourers

£40 starting rate

£50 after 6 weeks

£60 after 3 months

Climbers

£100 for a basic climber

£120 experienced

£150 team leader

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

In what dream world!!!!

Perhaps down the south east where you need too as it 200 grand for a bedsit and a fiver a pint but up north where 200 grand gets you a nice detached family home and its 3 quid a pint you wont, but you dont need too..

Its comments like this that put thoughts of grandeur into the heads of the boys put through tickets by the dole who expect to be earning 30 plus grand a year.. Probably the same ones doing the scrap as cant get a job as ask for too much money.. :laugh1:

sorry for not making it very clear.my boss said they have sent my job description to external consultant and took them 2 month and they said average salary for skilled arborist is 15000 to 18000 a year.This includes London area as well apparently they checked jobs from south mainly so im getting a good wage.my salary comes to 18600 before tax.

Sent from my iPhone using

Arbtalk mobile app

sorry for not making it very clear.my boss said they have sent my job description to external consultant and took them 2 month and they said average salary for skilled arborist is 15000 to 18000 a year.This includes London area as well apparently they checked jobs from south mainly so im getting a good wage.my salary comes to 18600 before tax.

Sent from my iPhone using

Arbtalk mobile app

Shame they didn't save the consultants fee and give it to you as a pay rise. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

I am assuming that this employer has a good deal of time and money invested in your training, with more to come.

Your stated intent is to leave and do your own thing in the future.

Knuckle down and make the most of the training while you can get it paid for particularly the academic, you will find doing that later in life gets harder and harder.

After reading this thread I've been to ask the boss for a pay rise having only 12years experience I can climb push a brush feed a chipper be nice to customers and not break customers property work a 60 plus hours a week for £5per hour and my wife said no or well will have to try harder and ask again next year

I think £9 p/h isn't much above minimum wage, and a qualified cutter is worth more. At all levels this is a hazardous, and very demanding job.

FWIW I pay (on self-employed basis).

£10 per hour - Unskilled groundsman (no tickets bar first aid, just manual labour - not even allowed to fuel saws). I provide safety gear and restrict what they can do. My main groundie has never had a running saw in his hand. After 8 hours on site they go to a flat fee of £100. I expect very hard work from them.

£15 per hour - qualified on the ground cutter.

£20 per hour - qualified climber.

I use another qualified climber and two groundsmen - but I do have to mix and match carefully to protect my profit on a job.

I expect everyone to do their job and the jobs below them as well. e.g. If I'm up the tree then the other climber is dragging brash out with the groundie or feeding the chipper. No work to rule here. Everyone pitches in.

If it's predominately a ground cutting job, or there's only a small fee, then I might negotiate the climber down to £15 per hour. It's up to him if he wants it.

For the qualified guys I provide fuel but I expect them to have their own saws and kit. (Doesn't stop them using my saws when my back's turned, but hey!).

If it's a short job and some travelling involved by the guys using their own transport I may give them an added payment to help out with that.

I hear tales of qualified people working for £75 a day, or being kept as an 'apprentice' for years to keep their salary down.

I don't think it's right.

People work harder and smarter, and they are more committed to you and your business if they can see that you value what they do and reward them at a level which demonstrates that. But I expect a level of effort in return which reflects their appreciation of the fact. It goes both ways.

One more thing - the guys I bring in know exactly how much a job is worth, and how much we are making from it on an individual basis - including my own profit.

I mainly do residential work, which can pay quite well.

Don't know if this is of much use to you.