salary review

Mr Oz

That's true eggs and in big companies they can absorb that into their overall training budget.

The tickets he's mentioned would cost thousands, which for a small employer would be a huge expense but they can't easily pass that on to customers as they are likely competing with many other small firms which probably don't bother with training.

I just know that i'd be a bit miffed if after spending that much on training a second year climber then demanded a pay increase.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

yes they have put me for courses to get tickets so thats why i was unsure whether to ask or even bring up the subject.

but on the other hand they do get budget for training every year and i dont think their fussd that much about who gets what training.we have guys done digger course and lots of other types of courses but they never even go on a digger or use their ticket,so i would probably feel bad about it but then again even tho i like tree work its annoying thinking about why should i get paid same as the guy drives a sit on mower and just does gardens allday.:confused1:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Wolfie and Eggs are right, if they've put your through the courses I'd make sure you earn your money and a bit extra as the courses cost a fortune regardless if there's a budget for it.

And mind just because you've a few tickets doesn't make you any better than a chap who cuts grass..my guys have no tree tickets and spend most of the summer cutting grass and they make a fair wedge a week...it's your attitude and how hard you work....

In my experience you'd make more straight profit by weeding 5 days a week as there's no expensive equipment needed... If your good you can charge easily £25ph in my area.. Tickets don't =extra money if you don't earn it. How you conduct yourself with your employer or client earns you far more.

Yeah Wolfie and Eggs are right, if they've put your through the courses I'd make sure you earn your money and a bit extra as the courses cost a fortune regardless if there's a budget for it.

And mind just because you've a few tickets doesn't make you any better than a chap who cuts grass..my guys have no tree tickets and spend most of the summer cutting grass and they make a fair wedge a week...it's your attitude and how hard you work....

In my experience you'd make more straight profit by weeding 5 days a week as there's no expensive equipment needed... If your good you can charge easily £25ph in my area.. Tickets don't =extra money if you don't earn it. How you conduct yourself with your employer or client earns you far more.

yes i get your point.and thanks for the advice.i dont think im better then these guys but i like to think that i do more skilled work then some others therefore i should at least get little bit more.btw i do grounds maintenance and garden work but mainly trees,all the respect to guys who does gardening are you saying the guy pushes a mower should be or can be paid as much as the guy takes a chainsaw 50... ft up on a tree?(its just a question im not trying to start an argument):001_smile:

personally i think you can get anyone to do gardening but you cant get anyone to climb up a tree or use a chainsaws.I have already done lots of tree work and saved a lot of money for company including some windblowns that would cost them thousands with contractors emergency call out.

i think i might mention it boss and see how they react and take it from there,:thumbup1:

yes i get your point.and thanks for the advice.i dont think im better then these guys but i like to think that i do more skilled work then some others therefore i should at least get little bit more.btw i do grounds maintenance and garden work but mainly trees,all the respect to guys who does gardening are you saying the guy pushes a mower should be or can be paid as much as the guy takes a chainsaw 50... ft up on a tree?(its just a question im not trying to start an argument):001_smile:

personally i think you can get anyone to do gardening but you cant get anyone to climb up a tree or use a chainsaws.I have already done lots of tree work and saved a lot of money for company including some windblowns that would cost them thousands with contractors emergency call out.

i think i might mention it boss and see how they react and take it from there,:thumbup1:

As has been discussed before in another thread regarding mowing vs tree cutting, a grass cutter can do more than a tree cutter, if you said £10 for an average sized lawn (100m2), that can churn out 2-4 lawns per hour (depending on how good the mower operator is), so that's £20-40ph, 7 hour day (8th hour for lunch and breaks) so £140-280 a day, one guy! You have a team to cut a tree, and if you make £500 per day, your still making less per person, even at this time of the year, the mower guy could still be mowing, or leaf clearing.

Whilst you may have the harder job, the mower guy earns the most cash for your boss, as for anyone is able to do it, anyone can cut a tree down, the skill in all jobs is doing it right, and better than your competition.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

No ones knocking you for wanting to do better for yourself so good luck with your boss if he's reasonable and your a good worker who shows talent and graft...he maybe do something for you.

And yes sadly although it seams unfair...the less glamorous jobs (grass/weeding etc) can make you money if you go about in the right way people pay for reliable, respectable and polite.

Although we all think we're worth a fortune always remember there's someone who will do it for less...that includes employment and staff....if your boss doesn't make money no one else will..

Good luck :)

Very true Eddy,

I cut ALOT of grass with a team :D to an extent I subcontract my tree work to a trusted climber as it's not worth me losing money throughout the summer.

Grass contracts payout every two weeks...needless to say I prefer tree work and all the macho stuff but maintenance contracts (especially big ones) make the real money anyone can get a £1000 tree job my business brain says: but can they get that job every second day for nearly 8months of the year..

That's the hard bit, go it alone and make some money and endure a reasonably stressful existence or be paid less for someone else to have all the stress and business costs...

It's a tricky one..I've been both employed and now run three little businesses. (Tree/ground care, logs and kindling, small engine servicing )

Extremely stressful building each part of the business but rarely do I work for less than £200pd and often work 7 days. Also the graft of self employment is immense if you want to earn and do well...employment it's someone else's worry really...as long as you do your job..

Double edged sword ;)

The first paragraph sums it up very nicely!

http://www.aatreesurgeon.co.uk