MEWP or Climbing?

Mr Oz

So you hate them and never use them but you picture them on your website?.

A good mewp will give you plenty of outreach / drop zone and reliability and can save you time and money.

Mewps are like religion you've either used a good one and been converted or have had a bad experience and are a non believer .

I agree that a hired in mewp with an operator who is not experienced in tree work can be a recipe for trouble.

Perfect analogy!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

I don't believe :thumbup:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every tool has its advantages, drawbacks and place. Mewps are no different I'd say.

Comparing them as being faster/slower safe/dangerous is totally subjective to the climber or mewp operator on the job, and pretty pointless.

I've subbed for a few firms who use primarily mewps and while they certainly have strengths they also have disadvantages. Far from being a 'macho climber', I simply see a climber as a far more versatile way of completing a job.

I agree Mr.Squirrel.

Everyone has their own choice of completing work but decision is usually effected by other factors such as time,cost etc..My question was that even though I have option to use MEWP I prefer to climb in most cases but ive been put pressure by H&S to use MEWP.

Btw I been using mewp for 2-3 years and feel completely comfortable with it.

Our H&S is convinced that climbing is very very dangerous :sneaky2:

So you hate them and never use them but you picture them on your website?.

A good mewp will give you plenty of outreach / drop zone and reliability and can save you time and money.

Mewps are like religion you've either used a good one and been converted or have had a bad experience and are a non believer .

I agree that a hired in mewp with an operator who is not experienced in tree work can be a recipe for trouble.

Don't get me onto bloody religion, there's no such thing as a good religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

You need the right MEWP.You blokes complain when it gets to 30 degrees .Try climbing every day in the Wet 40 degree plus and 90% humidity .Even the most stubborn will then look for a better way. I did after a few years climbing here

Original MEWP was a Nifty 17 metre trailerlift .Slow,not enough up and over reach but did the job

Current MEWP is a Cela DT24 spider.very fast on the ascent and all movements .12 metres outreach.14 metre up and over.24 metre working height .About 850mm wide less than 2000mm high

Not many jobs you Can't get to with this

Current MEWP is a Cela DT24 spider.very fast on the ascent and all movements .12 metres outreach.14 metre up and over.24 metre working height .About 850mm wide less than 2000mm high

Not many jobs you Can't get to with this

You've hit the nail on the head. Most bad mewp experiences are because the wrong mewp was used and there are very few in reality to choose from. Your mewp is the perfect mewp.

Mine has 11m outreach, I can do a 22m stretch of hedge without moving the mewp or crown lift both sides of an avenue of trees

I agree Mr.Squirrel.

Everyone has their own choice of completing work but decision is usually effected by other factors such as time,cost etc..My question was that even though I have option to use MEWP I prefer to climb in most cases but ive been put pressure by H&S to use MEWP.

Btw I been using mewp for 2-3 years and feel completely comfortable with it.

Our H&S is convinced that climbing is very very dangerous :sneaky2:

Well now that is a sticky wicket. I guess all you can do is try and reason with them that mewps aren't the be all and end all, or start getting very imaginative with reasons as to why they are unsuitable for the job in hand. For every job.

They might be great for wee trees, hedges and reductions but reaching the internals of a tree from a mewp is another matter.

And the quality of work suffers I'd say.

And mewps are girly. :001_tt2:

Well now that is a sticky wicket. I guess all you can do is try and reason with them that mewps aren't the be all and end all, or start getting very imaginative with reasons as to why they are unsuitable for the job in hand. For every job.

They might be great for wee trees, hedges and reductions but reaching the internals of a tree from a mewp is another matter.

And the quality of work suffers I'd say.

And mewps are girly. :001_tt2:

haha.thats what I keep saying cant get to crown to do the work:laugh1: