Drugs at work

Treemon

Alcohol is a drug too, a particularly strong one at that, the one that has the biggest detrimental effect on society. Just go to A and E on a Saturday night for the evidence. Drugs should be used, not abused, responsibly and in moderation, for recreational purposes only, and if done so nobody is in any danger on Monday morning. Personally I like a couple of ales in the evening, but maybe 3 or 4 times a year I enjoy a weekend of ecstasy and hallucinogens with good friends and good music and I have a wonderful time. In no way does it impair my ability to get up at 5am monday to friday and turn up for work alert and ready for action.

Just thought someone should represent the other side of the debate.

Although I have to add that being even slightly intoxicated at work, doing what we do, is completely unacceptable.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcohol is obviously a drug. But, it's effects do wear off, eventually. Worked with an alcoholic once, great guy, then he'd have a binge after staying dry for a few weeks, and have a day off sick, at least I didn't have to put up with him drunk. Unpleasant experience was working with a man who claimed to use cannabis for "medicinal purposes", my backside, he was hooked on it, and was hard work, had to put up with his extreme paranoia and tantrums, temper flaring up to psychopathic levels. Also almost killed by an idiot with a back actor of a JCB whilst he was smoking a joint at the time. A lot of drug and alcohol users will deny they have a problem, cannabis users especially, always bang on about how ganja is safer than beer etc, and can't see they have issues themselves, shrugging off criticism of their beloved drug and skinning up another joint. Says it all really.

Full stop, under the influence of drugs or alcohol on site you go home and never come back. No ifs ands or buts. Professionalism starts at home. The "in my own time" brigade can go for a walk off of a short cliff.

It's not acceptable. Ever.

Just my opinion and written policy.

Alcohol is obviously a drug. But, it's effects do wear off, eventually. Worked with an alcoholic once, great guy, then he'd have a binge after staying dry for a few weeks, and have a day off sick, at least I didn't have to put up with him drunk. Unpleasant experience was working with a man who claimed to use cannabis for "medicinal purposes", my backside, he was hooked on it, and was hard work, had to put up with his extreme paranoia and tantrums, temper flaring up to psychopathic levels. Also almost killed by an idiot with a back actor of a JCB whilst he was smoking a joint at the time. A lot of drug and alcohol users will deny they have a problem, cannabis users especially, always bang on about how ganja is safer than beer etc, and can't see they have issues themselves, shrugging off criticism of their beloved drug and skinning up another joint. Says it all really.

Yeah, weed can be as bad if not worse than alcohol IMO because people don't think it affects them the day after. Or they think it doesn't affect them on the day because they're so used to being stoned all the time. And don't get me started on the psychological effects, the stuff that's around today is incredibly strong and often laced with stimulants. Definitely not safer than alcohol, especially for someone who already has a disposition to psychological disorders.