stihl 4 mix hedge cutter engines- flooding of filter issue

likeitorlumpit

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not being funny but can't you cut the breather pipe from the airfilter housing and stick a breather from a MS200T in the pipe:confused1:

I can't believe the German engineers have got it wrong, it must be designed to leak:001_rolleyes:

Perhaps one of you should set one of these on fire in the back of your waggon, film yourself using a fire extinguisher on it, stick it on Youtube and wait for the product recall......and yes, I am a cynic:thumbup:

The vent ??? Ok.. How come my first km130 never did this and despite replacing the vent my latest km still floods every time it's put down ??

To prove if it the vent at fault you could pull the pipe off where it fits into the airbox. If the fuel leaks over the tank rather than onto the airfilter then its defo the vent.

If the air filter still floods then its coming through the carb.

This is one of the many 4mix problems i've not come across yet! The pipe going to the filter case obviously recycles fumes from the tank so they can be burnt.

Another case of legislation making things more complicated!!

Would think if you stored them horizontally there would be no problem, but thats not very convenient.

Lets face it if it wasn't for the legislation there would be no 4mix, and wouldn't the world be a better place then!!!!

Edited by 2stroke-ady

This is one of the many 4mix problems i've not come across yet! The pipe going to the filter case obviously recycles fumes from the tank so they can be burnt.

Would think if you stored them horizontally there would be no problem, but thats not very convenient.

Lets face it if it wasn't for the legislation there would be no 4mix, and wouldn't the world be a better place then!!!!

My 4mix long reach stands conveniently in the corner of my lock up. And does not have this problem. But it does get through spark plugs for a past time! Definitely won't be getting another to replace this one, when it blows up. My small engine mechanic chap says I am lucky it hasn't yet!

Thats what I thought, but I really do not understand this. The vent is a one way valve, it lets air INTO the tank to relieve vacuum. It does NOT vent pressurised air OUT of the tank, or allow the airbox induction vacuum to draw fumes through it.

So it seems the ONLY purpose of the pipe to the airbox is to remove leaked petrol when the vent FAILS

The early models leaked to atmosphere, Stihl then modified them with a pipe connection. Would it not have been better to develop a valve that does not fail?:confused1:

Thats what I thought, but I really do not understand this. The vent is a one way valve, it lets air INTO the tank to relieve vacuum. It does NOT vent pressurised air OUT of the tank, or allow the airbox induction vacuum to draw fumes through it.

So it seems the ONLY purpose of the pipe to the airbox is to remove leaked petrol when the vent FAILS

The early models leaked to atmosphere, Stihl then modified them with a pipe connection. Would it not have been better to develop a valve that does not fail?:confused1:

Better? Yes. Cheaper? Probably not. :001_rolleyes: