Star Wars, cool or uncool

sgot88

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you like sci-fi in whatever medium you choose... well you probably think 'Star Wars' is great. Though I've come across the odd sci-fi person, (very odd) who didn't like the premise.

I personally think they're great. But I'm into sci-fi book, films and even been to a rare theatre performance of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. As to 'SWs', I prefer the first three made, those that are now viewed as the second trilogy. Ok, so the last three made, (first trilogy in new money) have better FX. But that doesn't make the FX of the other three less accomplished.

If you want low tech high tech, watch films like 'Forbidden Plant' one if my favourite films of all time, using a similar plot to that of Willy Shakes' play The Tempest. Or films like 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' and the 'Quatermass' films. Then there's the first few 'Doctor Who' series and all of the TV series of Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Star Trek the original series, Supercar Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, the over optimistic Space 1999 or UFO. The super cheesy Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. If you're impressionable or easily lead astray, you'll have to look away when Erin Gray is on screen.

There's so many sci-fi books and their authors, it would be foolish of me to mention some but not all. However, Asimov stands head & shoulders above so many. Amongst other greats, stand Orson Scott Card, Frank Herbert and Arthur C. Clarke.

Think I better finish here.

Have you seen Enders game? The book was alright but dunno what the film is like. Alasdair Reynolds is a very good author as is Stephen Baxter

Sent using My c

An absolute avid SF fan when younger.

Never saw a single SW film, not interested.

Wtf was that light sabre nonsense when obviously they would have developed lazar rifles guns etc (for instance)

Might watch them from start to finish out of dumb curosity

Light saber is Jedi culture . Sorta like Samurai ....

Never seen any of them from start to finish. TBH, the genre doesn't light my fire.

One "Star" film I did enjoy and found it emotional and thought provoking was about a spaceship that carried plants, trees and stuff from a dead earth. I seem to remember that the humans on board left it with a small robot to care for the plants forevermore!

I love 1st 3 films and have been disappointed since, I too have the hyperdrive in snow thing, absolutely brilliant. I want my memory erasing then I can be a stars wars virgin all over again.:thumbup:

Now and when I buy SW lego and keep it in the box. Its a future investment. Wife bought me the lego ultimate millenium falcon. Over 5000 bricks. Cost about £400 now selling on ebay for 3 times that... Awwwhhh I've got to go and put my jim jams on now.. Good night.:001_smile:

Edited by Goaty
too excited to spell properly

Never seen any of them from start to finish. TBH, the genre doesn't light my fire.

One "Star" film I did enjoy and found it emotional and thought provoking was about a spaceship that carried plants, trees and stuff from a dead earth. I seem to remember that the humans on board left it with a small robot to care for the plants forevermore!

That was called Silent Running.

One of the best/most depressing films ever. Brilliant

Not seen any Star Wars films but I know loads of people who love it.