problems with starting

campanula

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the first firing has been missed and subsequent pulls have flooded the saw.

Personally I use a mixture of ideas of what others have said.

Firstly take the plug out, turn the saw upside down and pull it over fast for 10 times until fuel stops dripping out of the plug hole and heavy vapour stops blasting out.

At this point, get the plug nice and hot on a gas hob (make sure er indoors is out) or use a gas torch, pull the choke out and push it all the way back in, put the plug back in and pull it over fast and all being well, it will start.

It is possible the carb needle has stuck open and is flooding the engine and stopping it working but give the above method a go - the hot plug helps vapourise the fuel and aids ignition - holding the throttle open can aid the starting as well.

Oh - DON'T USE THE DECOMP WHEN DOING THE ABOVE - it will help starting to have full compression.

Good luck, it will be a good saw....trust me:thumbup:

what he said.

im thinking the needle is stuck open.

had a 61 recently that sounds the same. although not new but same thing, would see like the fuel was being poured into the carb from a can.

could be something from the manufacturing process on the carb, only takes a grain to get in there.

either get a dealer to look at it and if its from the manu process then surely any dealer should be able to sort it under a warranty, other than that a tech should be able to sort it.

um, we are not at all keen to do any more mucking about - it is obviously brand new and will be under warranty but as soon as we start dismantling this and that, there is every chance our warranty will be voided. We don't actually need it for a couple of weeks (waiting for leaf drop on the poplars) so it can go to our local dealers or back to A&F.

Firstly take the plug out, turn the saw upside down and pull it over fast for 10 times until fuel stops dripping out of the plug hole and heavy vapour stops blasting out.

Also make sure the ignition is grounded.

I has a TS400 catch fire doing this, never thought petrol vapour and spark would be so dramatic.:biggrin:

Managed to blow it out, but got the heart going, could have been more of a problem if spilt fuel was about, or starting in kitchen, with spilt fuel on floor.

H-A

These are prone to flooding. The trick is to forget about the decomp valve and not use it whatsoever until its a few months old. The decomp valves seem to struggle closing for some reason on the first fire.

Start it the conventional way as per a stihl ie choke til it fires once then choke in. Firstly tho you will have to dry it out as per spuds way. Do it tonight and refit the plug in the morning and it should fire up without using the decomp..

In fairness, it should go back to Arb and Forestry.

They should have PDI'd that saw before they despatched it (and probably did). They took the profit, they should be responsible for any remedial work.

The local dealer, would have PDI'd it AND handed it over to you with full instruction and demonstration of starting procedure etc. You may have paid a bit more, but look how much trouble you could have saved yourself.

Its not really fair to expect your local dealer who has not made anything on the sale to put this saw right.

Yeah, well I thought so too, gardenkit....which was why I asked initially and was reluctant to take it to Does.

I am not doing any more fiddling because there is no doubt that there is something horribly wrong - and nothing to do with any misuse on our part.

Also, to be fair, A&F responded promptly to an e.mail and I certainly expect them to put this matter right since I could be convinced that I might be at fault somehow, for seeking a bargain, but feel completely blameless for the utter failure of this saw.