pulley system VS prussik system

monkey boy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen you need to update your avatar then!!

As an oldie I use the pulley/friction hitch prussick with the pantin ie using the stronger leg muscles more than the upper body.

Also have mostly converted the other climbers on my crew to the prussick/ fixe combo( pictured on last post). Is any one else using this setup? Tie one fishermans bend to the top of the fixe and the other bend goes in between the pullies eyes.this means less room is taken up on the biner.

For example if i'm in a broad tree and i have to work my way down one side starting from the top i'll install a pulley or revolver by my friction saver put the tail of rope through that, then make sure my tail follows me as i work my way down, then when i need to go back up to redirect myself to work the other side of the tree i have a 3-1 pulley system to pull myself back up which also tends the hitch for me.

Didn't have a clue what you meant here at first, but tried it this afternoon and I love it!

Not for use all the time, and uses a lot of rope, but for re-ascending it's fantastic.

All brush down? Instead of chogging cord down on top of it and getting everything in a mess, come down, help with the chipping, then simply get groundie to pull you back up to the top of the spar while you do very little!

Genius, and everyone gets home early.

Top tip, Marc. Thanks.

For example if i'm in a broad tree and i have to work my way down one side starting from the top i'll install a pulley or revolver by my friction saver put the tail of rope through that, then make sure my tail follows me as i work my way down, then when i need to go back up to redirect myself to work the other side of the tree i have a 3-1 pulley system to pull myself back up which also tends the hitch for me.

Didn't have a clue what you meant here at first, but tried it this afternoon and I love it!

Not for use all the time, and uses a lot of rope, but for re-ascending it's fantastic.

All brush down? Instead of chogging cord down on top of it and getting everything in a mess, come down, help with the chipping, then simply get groundie to pull you back up to the top of the spar while you do very little!

Genius, and everyone gets home early.

Top tip, Marc. Thanks.

Its all the little details that count, they all add up to make our climbing life easier, more productive and our careers as climbers longer. Some ideas may rarely get used in day to day climbing yet to know them and use them when appropiate is what can give you an edge.

Visit treemagineers and view the hitch climbers guide for some more usefull tricks and tips.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I didant think of that. Cant wait to give that a go next time im climbing on art positioner :thumbup:

Like Bob says, The Art Positioner is just for positioning, and is not designed to take the loadings in a fall situation, you should NOT be climbing on this device, but using a lockjack or spiderjack on your main climbing line.

The art positioner costs approx £75.00 where as the Lockjack costs £175.00 so I can see why some people think they will use the Art for climbing.