pulley system VS prussik system

monkey boy

went from prussik when i started which was all i knew-thrusting and pushing, lots of effort, need two hands to pull the slack through, or 1 hand plus teeth :/

then blakes hitch, seemed a nicer knot to use than the prussik, had the same as above, although bu re-tying you can have the friction area close to you-handy when branch walking, or far away-handy for thrusting up/footlocking up

then saw the light, and went for a VT (pully variation of friction knot) which was FANTASTIC in comparison-no more thrusting, much more fluid movements, climbing quicker, self tends(pulls through the slack on its own) with enough rope below, slack can be pulled through single handedly, never looked back.

just brought a hitch climber at the start of the week, with the proper caribinas, and its even better than the previous system!

used a prussik a few times since seeing the light, and boy its horrid! slow, tight, yuk!

alot of the older climbers who have never used a pully system, will slate it, saying about over complicating things with new fangled complex wizzadary, but if you can pursuade them to give it a go, they will, without fail, eat humble pie!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think all climbers should know the basics, prussik, blakes etc. before using pulley systems.

Then they can appreciate just how much things have improved!

Don't get me wrong, I was a both rope ends / prussik man for YEARS just because I learnt my stuff alongside a very non-progressive climber. It pains me to think of all the unnecessary torture I put myself through.

Lucky I'm not still using a bow saw.....

I climb on prussic at the mo. I have an art positioner but keep coming back to the old faithfull. I like it cos its nice simple and i like the physical side of using it aswell.

Havent tried v.t yet but have heard many good things and im sure it wont be too long. . :001_tt1:

I don't understand how using a pulley system helps to climb up the tree?

Used one on a lanyard and once for branch walking and is great especially tightening one handed, but can't see the benefit of using it to climb. I will try it this weekend.

Every one should be using a vt and pulley(or lock jack), prussiks are a waste of energy and time !!

What a well thought out, unbiased, detailed and accomplished conveyance of information there...Thanks for sharing :001_tongue:

Unfortunately I haven't yet met anyone who uses the vt, of all the arbs I have encountered, they all use a basic system, be it blakes or prussik. Some of them are outstanding climbers, hell some of them even run their own business with teams of climbers underneath them all using prussiks etc...You need to get out there matty and spread the word a bit more.:001_cool: