What is experience??

JLA Arborists

There's no point arguing the toss here gents- all the tree guys think 'how hard is it, pulling some levers' and all the digger guys think 'how hard is it, climb up the tree and cut bits off' :lol: There's far more to both than meets the eye, can we at least agree on that?

Ah, but the key difference here is, if someone started a thread asking the same question but with reference to digger drivers, i'd stay out of it and leave the experienced digger drivers to reply.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I once knew a guy who couldn't climb a tree or drive a dumper.

I did however watch him one day get a good 5 ft up an oak tree before the dumper fell over. I would say on this day he gained a lot of experience in how not to climb trees and how not to drive a dumper in one foul swoop!

Ah, but the key difference here is, if someone started a thread asking the same question but with reference to digger drivers, i'd stay out of it and leave the experienced digger drivers to reply.

You'd not say you were proficient after three weeks playing mud pies with a hired 3.5t then?

This is a discussion forum as far as I'm aware, and anyone can either agree, semi agree or ridicule me. I don't much care which :lol:

I once knew a guy who couldn't climb a tree or drive a dumper.

I did however watch him one day get a good 5 ft up an oak tree before the dumper fell over. I would say on this day he gained a lot of experience in how not to climb trees and how not to drive a dumper in one foul swoop!

:laugh1: Love it!

:lol::lol::lol:

You'd not say you were proficient after three weeks playing mud pies with a hired 3.5t then?

This is a discussion forum as far as I'm aware, and anyone can either agree, semi agree or ridicule me. I don't much care which :lol:

I said proficient, not experienced....and you were the one who brought that analogy into the thread

Anyway, im out of this one :001_smile:

There's no point arguing the toss here gents- all the tree guys think 'how hard is it, pulling some levers' and all the digger guys think 'how hard is it, climb up the tree and cut bits off' :lol: There's far more to both than meets the eye, can we at least agree on that?

No you drive a digger and think the above, the question is about tree climbing, you don't climb trees, so as Steve mentioned, your opinion isn't valid . Put a vid up of your skills on your old digger and I'll show a few of my mates who are operators and they can see if you are any good or not.

I dont realy think years make a lot of difference.Its aptitude and willingness to learn that makes a difference.People can spend years and money in training, but still come up short against someone who has a low level of experience, but has found their niche, and takes to it like a duck to water.

Diggering has been mentioned.I hired a digger a while back.Always wanted to play with one.Had a keeness.Didnt do a course but did a tutorial on youtube.When it was delivered over a weekend to clear a site, i just played.After a while it becomes a bit intuative with the levers, and i had a ball.I did techniques that i learnt off the internet and tried them.Experienced? no, but i can do pretty much anything with one because i was so keen to learn.Loved it.

Now i do digger work as a sideline.