How do you use your chain brake?

Joe Newton

I use it as often as I feel the need to but not as often as i maybe should.

I'll use it a lot more on arb jobs than out in the woods, mainly because of the proximity to others than anything else.

I can understand having it working off inertia for if it kicks back hard, but putting it on every time you move is, in my opinion, a little excessive.

I'm bad for this, and openly admit it, and won't encourage anyone to copy me, but I rarely use a chain brake after every cut. If I'm snedding, finger off throttle to change footing, keep fluid. If felling, engine running, or off. Basically, if I'm not cutting, the engine is not running at all. I know is is not best practise, and others will probably sit and frown at the screen. Of course, if it's uneven terrain, on slopes, lots of trip hazards, I'll use it. And I hate the "clunk" of a chain brake at full revs after every single little cut, so irritating. But that's just me, and I'm wrong. Adjust chain properly so it doesn't creep, use off switch more, it doesn't need to run when you're not cutting all the time.

Right, going back to the trench to take cover from the flak. :001_smile:

You should never pop the chain brake on at hi revs unless kick back etc, but if doing multiple cross cuts and you want to speed it up a bit you just GENTLY turn the saw in the kerf before engaging the brake. I'm sure someone will say this may cause excessive wear on the rails/chain but I've been doin it for 18yrs without a problem! ;)

I also agree wih Andy and remember when I did medium/ large trees years ago that you were expected to be workin at a quicker pace therefore less chain brake use i.e. when snedding you did not need to put chain brake on while moving along as long as you keep stem between you and saw.

I find the chain brake lever to be extremely useful for carrying the saw if fitted with a longer bar because I balances nicely.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

With the 200s its a great place to clip the krab end of your saw lanyard to so you can sling in over your shoulder when carrying. :thumbup:

Come on though OMT, whats your input?

I'm bad for this, and openly admit it, and won't encourage anyone to copy me, but I rarely use a chain brake after every cut. If I'm snedding, finger off throttle to change footing, keep fluid. If felling, engine running, or off. Basically, if I'm not cutting, the engine is not running at all. I know is is not best practise, and others will probably sit and frown at the screen. Of course, if it's uneven terrain, on slopes, lots of trip hazards, I'll use it. And I hate the "clunk" of a chain brake at full revs after every single little cut, so irritating. But that's just me, and I'm wrong. Adjust chain properly so it doesn't creep, use off switch more, it doesn't need to run when you're not cutting all the time.

Right, going back to the trench to take cover from the flak. :001_smile:

I'm with you Andy . I'm 60 years old and probably used the brake 60 times .....:001_smile: