Am I too expensive??

Mutley404

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will put in a quote rock bottom price to do a job, but another quote comes in cheaper than mine. And I ask myself how can they make much of a profit and run a business? But that's life! That's your quote and stick to it, don't sale yourself short. I have given up worring about it. You get what you pay for.

I dont quite get the reasoning there. If you know you are likely to lose the work why not put in a price that of you do actually get it you may make some coin.

Going in absolutely rock bottom, doesn't make sense to me. Fair price for a fair service.

I dont quite get the reasoning there. If you know you are likely to lose the work why not put in a price that of you do actually get it you may make some coin.

Going in absolutely rock bottom, doesn't make sense to me. Fair price for a fair service.

understand that, when I do a quote and the client says "I am getting other quotes" I know there are other tree surgeons out there will do it dirt cheap just to get the work. Rock bottom for me does not mean rock bottom for someone else.

Hey Mutley

You quoted £700 for the job, what manpower, machinery & time do you think it would have taken to complete?

Cheers

Nod

Well this is where is see the issue with these kind of jobs.

I would have taken 1 150hp tractor (well oversized but i'm not going to buy a smaller tractor just for these jobs, i need the power elsewhere) with trailer, winch (might have gotten away with the grip hoist but it'd be damn hard work) and either take the excavator with the grapple to load the timber or another tractor with loader, either way it would have been 2 machines. And 2 workers for 1 full day.

The whole job could have been done with little machinery but at the end of the day I've got the kit, it needs to earn it's keep.

We get a similar situations with some of the silage contractors to this. The local guy with the old machinery and little old baler,turns up at a time that suits him, takes ages to do the job, the bales are pretty crap but he's cheap. And then there's the guy with the new 200hp tractors, new baler and a crew of guys driving for him, is always on time, bales are super tight and he's done in less than half the time of the other guy but charges more. Which is best?

I choose the guy with the good kit every time now because he gets the job done on time and I feel like I'm getting my monies worth and not being messed around, but that's me.

Do you honestly think he is concerned about your price?:001_rolleyes:

Whatever you said, he would of acted the same way.:sneaky2:

And it's worked, your all doubting yourself and feeling like your 10.:blushing:

It's a tactic called " critical dad " and it works on most folk who had strict caregivers.

next time someone does this too you, just say nothing, not a squeak, no response just a blank expression, it will seem like time has stopped for you, and will feel very awkward, but the person will just go back to normal as long as you keep stoom!!

Now I think you should contact this gentleman and say you have had a think about what he said and he was right, offer to drop the price to £700 p vat but you do want paid upon completion for your generous offer.:biggrin:

Or forget it, the job sounds brutal and have a day off and go fishing or go karting:biggrin: