How to make sure I'm not buying stolen kit?

Logrod

I've been thinking of buying a secondhand saw from eBay, but at the same time I see a lot of threads about stolen gear...how can I make sure I'm not buying stolen gear and providing the criminals with an outlet? (and no I don't want to end up paying main dealer prices!)

I've been thinking of buying a secondhand saw from eBay, but at the same time I see a lot of threads about stolen gear...how can I make sure I'm not buying stolen gear and providing the criminals with an outlet? (and no I don't want to end up paying main dealer prices!)

I once bought an 020 from a bloke I knew, all in good faith, I took it to a stihl dealer to be repaired (electronic ignition) and he pointed out to me that the serial number had been ground off. Obvoiusly that's the first thing to check, I,d also check for numbers welded on it somewhere (hire shop tools) although it could of been bought at an auction. Not sure if theres a database where you can check the serial numbers.

Serial number is the best bet - a nice close-up photo of the area where it should be, even if cropped to show part of it before the sale. Be aware though, some saws had replacement crank cases supplied unstamped by the mfr, but it should still be clear that the surface has been properly machined, not ground.

Alec

logs we use alpha dot on all are kit thousands of tiny dots all over every nuck and cranny all alfa dot stuff is registered on a data base. but i would go with what Mr Blair said if you can justify a new saw do it you don't know what your buying and if they have had the right fuel mix in etc i see your in manchester look up skyland equipment in liverpool there pretty good like.

A new saw is a very good investment, take your time and save up and go to your local dealer or a show and get a good deal.

I've bought a couple of new saws in my life including one just recently but I'm interested in trying milling and as this is only a hobby there's no chance I would splash out on a large new saw that might get used very infrequently.

I've bought a couple of new saws in my life including one just recently but I'm interested in trying milling and as this is only a hobby there's no chance I would splash out on a large new saw that might get used very infrequently.

fair play why not try asking on here i reckon someone on hear could sort you out and chances are its been looked after :thumbup1: