1 Year Review Of Climbing With Earplugs

James Atkinson

I prefer muffs as they are easier to snap on and off to make communication easier, also I may be wrong about this but thought they offer greater protection when feeding a chipper as they cover the whole ear and not just shoved in the canal. Also I have heard of other problems with ear infections and blocking your ear with wax with plugs, but this is extreme and unlikely.

They may mute more noise, again a negative for me as I like to hear someone shouting if they want my attention, the higher levels of noise cancelling doesn't nescersarily mean greater protection.

I do use plugs from time to time myself though.

I do have to take mine out if I need to speak to the groundstaff which is slightly annoying but not a huge problem. I was concerned about the possibility of getting ear infections, particularly as im not particularly fussy about what i do with the plugs...they generally get stuffed in my pocket along with the sawdust at break times and at the end of the day. So far I have had no problems in about 6 years of using them.

I prefer muffs as they are easier to snap on and off to make communication easier, also I may be wrong about this but thought they offer greater protection when feeding a chipper as they cover the whole ear and not just shoved in the canal. Also I have heard of other problems with ear infections and blocking your ear with wax with plugs, but this is extreme and unlikely.

They may mute more noise, again a negative for me as I like to hear someone shouting if they want my attention, the higher levels of noise cancelling doesn't nescersarily mean greater protection.

I do use plugs from time to time myself though.

This is exactly how I feel.

But I guess I have no issues with standard defenders, so feel no need to try plugs.

I do find it very hard to believe the weight difference is noticeable :sneaky2::laugh1:

I have trouble with my ears. tinnitus being one. I have worried for a while of the effectiveness of ear defenders. especially over years of use stood next to a Vermeer bc 1000! The higher db ones with the extra foam are ok. I think there is room for improvement in ear protection, and this is definatley one way forward. Ill give it a go. Thanks for posting

Edited by Sully

I use moulded in ear plugs, they are great. Go in at the start of the day and stay in until endex. I can hear speaking etc, but they block the high pitch noise from kit. I do also put muffs on as well when chipping - i heard (:)) that chippers can do serious hearing damage. They are not cheap though!