SRT And DRT Project

Brocky-6

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been solely climbing SRT for over 3 years now, prior to that I was SRT accessing and DdRT working for a year or so.

I can't ever see a reason to go back to DdRT. The only benefit that I can see to DdRT is the 2:1 mechanical advantage, which is negated if you climb SRT properly. There's no reason to limb walk and haul yourself back in, just work vertically. Your body will thank you for it!

Just work vertically..? Is there some instruction somewhere on these techniques..?? can you work vertically in the outer crown of the tree

Have no idea about SRT work positioning..just thought it was an access means

25, been climbing since I was 18. If you look about on the various Facebook groups there's a huge range of ages running SRT setups.

I think the amount of people who are changing over is more related to the sharing of information through sites like this, than an age based factor. For the most part, the guys who aren't geeks that spend their spare time looking up new ideas are the ones who aren't aware of SRT.

I'm still amazed the amount of people I meet who aren't aware that tree climbing has advanced beyond the prussik. Presumably this is due to limited information sharing?

I really should get on that book face thingy and check out the group some day.

I really got excited about SRT from the Treebuzz and Tom Dunlap who was always happy to help, Kevin was still messing around with the F8.

I climbed SRT for both access and work position, eventually switching back to climbing only DRT with SRT as my daily access and rescue system as all members of the crew I work with access srt too.

Climbing with Marcus doing big tree reduction he moved so well on SRT and I can see the positional benefits, there was a lot of vertical hauling involved. Marcus though is again young and fit. I didn't start climbing until I was 27 I pretty much started out throw lining and quickly progressed to srt in 2007 often posting here about its benefits, sadly I've never made that leap to full time srt work positioning.

Climbing with BenR again he made srt look easy thinning tall drawn forest grown Beech getting right up those skinny limbs, I'm sure my koala bear technique on the big Sophora blew him away and he realised that he was witnessing a climber at the top of his game:001_rolleyes: with Marcus yet again srt'ing the other part.

Anyway rambling Marcus and Ben both struck me as young fit enthusiastic climbers, where as I feel a lot more settled in my was not really struggling to do my job daily so making that transition just doesn't seem worth it, I kinda like my mongrel mix of srt and DRT.

Although going on a jolly to Treekit this weekend can see myself purchasing some Beal Dynastat and a rope wrench for the cougar blue, if the zig zag does not tempt me..... Decisions decisions.

Will Ben Minty Rose make me a tether I wonder ........

Pantin, hand ascender, hitch hiker.

£200 right there. And I'm a starving employed climber with an alcohol and nicotine habit to maintain!

Rope wrench can be obtained for as little as £60. You don't need a hand ascender and you can footlock. That's a third of the price you stated.

If you're employed, you should be provided with equipment. If you have a lenient employer and you can put across the need for more ergonomic access (and quicker = more productive= higher turnover of work) then perhaps your employer would buy you a pantin at the very least?

As an aside, do people not use pantins on DdRT?

Just work vertically..? Is there some instruction somewhere on these techniques..?? can you work vertically in the outer crown of the tree

Have no idea about SRT work positioning..just thought it was an access means

There's a lot of knowledge out there, though mostly it's in people's heads. It is being shared in various places online but not in the conventional published sense. Tcia released a book on best practice for srt work positioning, but it only really covers the fundamentals of what the gear is, how it's used and how to use it safely.

Yes you can work vertically in the outside of the crown, with redirects. This also enables a more secure work position as you are less at risk of pendulum swings. This is the beauty of srt in a working environment

I really should get on that book face thingy and check out the group some day.

I really got excited about SRT from the Treebuzz and Tom Dunlap who was always happy to help, Kevin was still messing around with the F8.

I climbed SRT for both access and work position, eventually switching back to climbing only DRT with SRT as my daily access and rescue system as all members of the crew I work with access srt too.

Climbing with Marcus doing big tree reduction he moved so well on SRT and I can see the positional benefits, there was a lot of vertical hauling involved. Marcus though is again young and fit. I didn't start climbing until I was 27 I pretty much started out throw lining and quickly progressed to srt in 2007 often posting here about its benefits, sadly I've never made that leap to full time srt work positioning.

Climbing with BenR again he made srt look easy thinning tall drawn forest grown Beech getting right up those skinny limbs, I'm sure my koala bear technique on the big Sophora blew him away and he realised that he was witnessing a climber at the top of his game:001_rolleyes: with Marcus yet again srt'ing the other part.

Anyway rambling Marcus and Ben both struck me as young fit enthusiastic climbers, where as I feel a lot more settled in my was not really struggling to do my job daily so making that transition just doesn't seem worth it, I kinda like my mongrel mix of srt and DRT.

Although going on a jolly to Treekit this weekend can see myself purchasing some Beal Dynastat and a rope wrench for the cougar blue, if the zig zag does not tempt me..... Decisions decisions.

Will Ben Minty Rose make me a tether I wonder ........

I haven't seen Marcus climb but if you know Ben you'll have seen proper SRT working. I bet if you asked nicely he'd make you one, once he's back and regains his energy:sneaky2:

Easily go for the wrench over the zigzag, makes so much more sense!

Dan what gear would you take SRT wise in to the trees for a normal days work?

Depends on the size of the tree and how I feel that day but the bare essentials for me are;

Ropewrench/hitch or Unicender

Pantin (my knees are too knackered to footlock)

1x Krab

1x Ring

1x Snap attached to my shirt collar for chest attachment

Upwards from there I often add;

Hand ascender

1x 30cm Sling

1x Revolver