posting

John Shutler

I've been reading this thread and wondering whether or not to post. I shan't bother with a long post as those who may benefit from it most probably wouldn't read it! This forum is more than just a few tree surgeons/foresters, it's a valuable and serious resource with intelligent and thoughtful contributions. But it is also a social platform for semi serious or casual chit chat, like at the pub, or sitting in the truck having lunch while it pees it down. And just like some things shouldn't be said in those situations and some things would deserve a punch on the nose or being fired, people ought to think about what they say here too.

Many times I don't bother adding to threads because all it would do is fan flames unnecessarily. If you dont like what someone says report it to the mods, or put across your annoyance in a constructive post so it might not happen again.

It's not just about 'scaring off' other members/would be members with nitpicking or pointlessly offensive posts; it's about being a respectful human being! If your local pub/workplace was breaking out in slanging matches and fist fights over 'what ppe to wear', 'why do it like that ya poof' or 'why shouldn't I keep this hoover' would you stay there or find somewhere else to go?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constructive criticism is fine.....as i said its how things are said. Who wants to sit in a pub listening to some loud mouth constantly running people down? I dont which is why there are certain pubs i dont want to frequent because of the people in there.

Care to expand?

Nothing cryptic mate. Just a few lads I'm friends with on Facebook have said that they are purposely staying off here due to the number of helmets that are on here and being vocal over others with no real reason other than to make themselves heard. Shame as they are top lads who know a hell of a lot and are not posting for whatever reason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the forum is a fantastic resource! I've learnt lots and hopefully helped others out with the bits I've posted.

If I have one criticism, it would be that as Tractorboy has said, the use of homophobic slurs seem to go unchallenged. I have previously challenged a poster about his homophobic comments only to be told to wind my neck in by a different poster....

I realise that language usage changes with time and it isn't always the case that people are meaning to come across as openly homophobic but it doesn't half get my back up.

I have huge admiration for Steve and all the other mods so many thanks guys for all your efforts!

Being on this site should be: fun, relaxing, unthreatening, educational, topical and not least of all interesting. I've been moderating this forum since the beginning, and I've never found it tedious....until now. It's become tiresome, the same few doing the same stuff on a different day. All any of us want is the forum to run smoothly with as little effort as possible, as Steve said we run companies or are out working ourselves, the last thing I want to do is run a crèche in my evenings. If you don't wish to stick to a few rules, or just want to come here to stir the crap day after day, just go somewhere else, we just don't need it.

Being on this site should be: fun, relaxing, unthreatening, educational, topical and not least of all interesting. I've been moderating this forum since the beginning, and I've never found it tedious....until now. It's become tiresome, the same few doing the same stuff on a different day. All any of us want is the forum to run smoothly with as little effort as possible, as Steve said we run companies or are out working ourselves, the last thing I want to do is run a crèche in my evenings. If you don't wish to stick to a few rules, or just want to come here to stir the crap day after day, just go somewhere else, we just don't need it.

:congrats::congrats::congrats: That sums it up!!:thumbup1: