Female Arb

This is a rather odd request... :blushing:

I'm after some advise from people who know what there talking about because I defiantly do not!

I know its a long way off however for one of my boyfriends Christmas presents I would like to buy him a new splitting axe (seeing as the head flew off his last one, spiralling through the air luckily not into the direction of any living objects) :001_rolleyes:

I know he likes the Gransfor ones although I've seen a nice Husqvarna splitting axe I like better.

Does anyone have any reviews or splitting axes they recommend?

I would just ask him but don't want to spoilt the surprise :thumbup:

Many thanks in advance!!

:biggrin:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like both although I've neither! I have a Grunsfors small forest axe and love it for all the things it can do. So I'm slightly biased:biggrin:

From a splitting perspective The Grunsfors splitting maul has a metal protector at the base of the handle so if you make a cock-up with your shot this should protect the wooden shaft.

I like the look of the Husqvarna item so I've evened the choice out. Although I believe the Grunsfors makers number and mark each head in their factory with the makers name which is a nice touch and that swings it for me.

I think whichever you choose your fella will be very chuffed!:thumbup:

codlasher

splitting_maul.jpg.f22b513b57146b8e2f7f47ca8ccfc754.jpg

618_348_the-mightiest-ax-husqvarna-splitting-maul.jpg.870518a34c454c9111c09f704736f2bd.jpg

The Gransfor axes are precision tools, beautifully sharp and a joy to use.

A splitting maul is a brute and takes a lot of rough treatment. So a Gransfor splitting maul seems a bit of a contradiction in terms.

I'd buy him a Fiskars and spend the difference on some PPE when you use your chainsaw!

I've got a gransfors and husqvarna but find im so paranoid about using the gransfors because of the price! Husqy axes can get a very good edge on and almost up there with it for a cheaper price..Stihl axes aren't as good an edge plus they are prone to chip on the blade edge. As said a good old axe head is also better than most of the newer stuff as they most where forged. Can't say about the fiskars, never used one but they are getting some good reviews and ppl are really rating them.