Echo pole saw with hedge cutter attachment

drosa2004

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can attach a cutter to the telescopic shaft of a stihl BUT there is an issue.

The chainsaw attachment (so I am told) has a clutch which will release pressure from the shaft if the chain locks on something. the engine/drive system on the telescopic pole therefore has no clutch built in.

The cutter head is designed to run on a machine with a clutch at the engine end, so if you run a cutter on a telescopic pole there is no clutch anywhere in the drive train.

A lot of the time that's OK but if you end up catching a thick twig and the cutters lock up then the telescopic shaft takes a real beating.

This is how it was explained to me when I wrecked my Stihl tele-shaft using it for hedge cutter. I guess other companies have a clutch somewhere in the system - but that's why Stihl say you shouldn't use a trimmer on a tele-pole.

Maybe some of the tecchies on here will correct me if I'm wrong|

You can attach a cutter to the telescopic shaft of a stihl BUT there is an issue.

The chainsaw attachment (so I am told) has a clutch which will release pressure from the shaft if the chain locks on something. the engine/drive system on the telescopic pole therefore has no clutch built in.

The cutter head is designed to run on a machine with a clutch at the engine end, so if you run a cutter on a telescopic pole there is no clutch anywhere in the drive train.

A lot of the time that's OK but if you end up catching a thick twig and the cutters lock up then the telescopic shaft takes a real beating.

This is how it was explained to me when I wrecked my Stihl tele-shaft using it for hedge cutter. I guess other companies have a clutch somewhere in the system - but that's why Stihl say you shouldn't use a trimmer on a tele-pole.

Maybe some of the tecchies on here will correct me if I'm wrong|

If it didn't have a clutch then wouldn't the blades/ chain run all the time at idle??

Maybe I have read this wrong?

I use a still combi km130 with long reach hedge trimmer and 1m fibreglass extension poke in the middle. Much lighter than the pole saw a day only about 2ft difference in length.

I wrecked some polesaws as well using the hedge trimmer on the end, snapping the splined drive shaft inside.

I've always used my stihl pole saw with the hedge cutter attachment, I just don't get greedy with it and you can pretty much get away with using it on half revs, also I am fairly sure when I've had it apart before it has a clutch. Although I may be thinking of my old hedge trimmer? I do a lot of hedges in the summer months and all I use is a short handle stihl and pole pruner with hedge trimmer head, generally find it to be a good combo.

Takes its toll on the shoulders after a while though.

I have been using the echo power pruners with various attachments for 10 years. They are heavy, but they are heavy duty.

Stihl units gearboxes seem to be weaker, I have seen quite a few broken, while in all the time the only broken echo head I have seen was due to it never (never) being grease for something like 6 years.

I've always used my stihl pole saw with the hedge cutter attachment, I just don't get greedy with it and you can pretty much get away with using it on half revs, also I am fairly sure when I've had it apart before it has a clutch. Although I may be thinking of my old hedge trimmer? I do a lot of hedges in the summer months and all I use is a short handle stihl and pole pruner with hedge trimmer head, generally find it to be a good combo.

Takes its toll on the shoulders after a while though.

An Easy Lift Harness will solve that problem. I do 17 days of hedge cutting a year and the ELH was a seriously smart investment.

Sorry for the derail.

I've been thinking of a chainsaw head for my Stihl combi-thing so this is a useful thread for me.

Thanks.