When do I need an HGV license

chrisgilltreesurgery

Icecap is 5500kg, chipper is 2100kg Silky is 15 1/2 stone lol I have per 97 licence and hold an O licence.

I have been told but not sure how true it is that if my gross train weight exceeds 7500kg then I need an HGV.....

As of tomorrow Silky's on the salad!

Arboricultural Association Approved Contractor

He has been there before....... 20 posts later its full english breakfast just to start the day.:001_rolleyes:

I have been told but not sure how true it is that if my gross train weight exceeds 7500kg then I need an HGV.....

You're fine up to 8250kg in your circumstances, ie restriction 107 on your licence

You require C1+E to drive what you've got, which is a HGV test, you have grandad rights to it

Looking for some advice on when i would need an HGV licence, vehicle and trailer weights etc

Cheers

I think the true answer to this question is when you have had enough of running overloaded under the weight trucks. I reckon some of the transits I see on a daily basis if put on a weighbridge would need a class 2 license.

Bob

As I understand it on a pre 97 licence you need an HGV test if driving with a train weight of over 8250kg or a vehicle with a GVW of over 7500kgs.

The 107 code on the pre 97 licence restricts you to a maximum train weight of 8250kg as said, it nearly caught us out, and we had to downplate our 6.5 ton iveco to 6 ton so we can tow the 2.2 ton chipper!

But in the land rover and our new NKR we can tow the 3.5 ton trailer. It is a bit messed up as I'd much rather be pulling the 3.5 ton trailer with the iveco as it stops and pulls much better then the landrover!

As I understand it on a pre 97 licence you need an HGV test if driving with a train weight of over 8250kg or a vehicle with a GVW of over 7500kgs.

The 107 code on the pre 97 licence restricts you to a maximum train weight of 8250kg as said, it nearly caught us out, and we had to downplate our 6.5 ton iveco to 6 ton so we can tow the 2.2 ton chipper!

But in the land rover and our new NKR we can tow the 3.5 ton trailer. It is a bit messed up as I'd much rather be pulling the 3.5 ton trailer with the iveco as it stops and pulls much better then the landrover!

Ben,

Does the 'down-plate' still apply if you don't have the chipper attached...probably a stupid question but you know me :001_rolleyes:

Vehicles / licences / entitlements / towing weights / GVWs / MAMs ...does mi ed in!!!

Cheers..

Paul

Ben,

Does the 'down-plate' still apply if you don't have the chipper attached...probably a stupid question but you know me :001_rolleyes:

Vehicles / licences / entitlements / towing weights / GVWs / MAMs ...does mi ed in!!!

Cheers..

Paul

I believe so, people downplate 4 and even 5.5 tonners to 3.5 so they can drive them on a normal licence and without O licensing etc.. You have to show that the vehicle is not overweight when empty. I thought about downplating a sprinter 4.6 4x4, but you end up with being overloaded even quicker then in a regular 3.5 tonner!

• 1 year later...