Which pick up can tow 3.5t?

Old Mill Tree Care

Dodge and Rams are nice trucks and all, but are they really suitable for our industry? Yes they might be able to pull like stink but I for one would be scared to take it to work!

There not cheap, in all aspects - the outlay of buying one, running costs, mots (not many places will do them), servicing (same applies), insurance, fuel etc etc.

I wouldn't mind one for a show off car but not for a work truck!

Yank Trucks are just that,Trucks.Not light weight ponce wagons with a extra driving axel up the front.

Heavy components,large Engines,Comfortable and reliable.

My last Suburban with a 6.2 V8 Diesel in it,used about the same fuel as a Transit van.And thats towing a 2 ton trailer all day,every day on very steep roads.

I have been using them for going on 8 years in the Arb industry,and wouldn't think of using anything else.I can get practically any part over the internet.The Engines and drive train are bullet proof.

Year before last I was towed a Trailer of two tons and a Nissan Narvara that had a mini digger on a trailer up a hill in the snow.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on this must tick a few boxes. It tows it tips it goes like stink and its drivetrain is good for a million miles.

Bob

ram.jpg (62.3 KB)

In many ways thats exactly what I want but don't know where to get one and don't know about running costs, spare parts etc.

Anyone know of this?

And it must be 4x4.

Anything that weighs under 2.5 tonne and is not permanent 4x4 is not going to be ideal for towing 3.5 tonnes. The Amazon, disco 3/4 and defender are ok.

How can a Defender be good for towing a 3.5t trailer when it's not a very heavy vehicle?

That's a serious question, not a snipe at LR.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

How can a Defender be good for towing a 3.5t trailer when it's not a very heavy vehicle?

That's a serious question, not a snipe at LR.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

True in hindsight the defender weighs around 2 tonne and is not great for towing 3.5 tonnes it does have the edge on alot of the double cabs because it has permanent 4 wheel drive. The new discos are better as they weigh far more

From my experience of towing big generators about for 25 years. You need a truck with permanent 4 wheel drive weighing ideally over 2500kg. It needs a low first gear and a good sturdy clutch. Forget autos we have wrecked even the Amazon 4.2 autos. Air suspension on the back or coil springs leaf springs rarely work well when towing. The worst vehicle I have towed with was the d22 Navara we had 16 trailers at the time and it was poor with all of them you could see the cab jumping around on the light weight springy chassis.