what 4x4

finch

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a similar position to the original poster.

I currently have a diahatsu fourtrak which is economical, tows well ( fuel pump tweaked), super reliable and fairly good off road.

I was thinking, and still might do, of getting a tipping trailer. But the problen comes when you need to do some chipping.

Ideal world would be l200 club cab tipper or similar cab set up.

One of the VW Amarok is rated at 3,200 kilo max tow.

Someone has just been in the yard with one of these VW`s. I had a quick look at it and you are not getting much for £20k +. leaf sprung tinny thing with far to much plastic for our job. They are supplying these things as a trendy truck now with little regard for the guy that just needs it as a work horse. One of these would get smashed to bits inside six months with our guys.

Bob

Someone has just been in the yard with one of these VW`s. I had a quick look at it and you are not getting much for £20k +. leaf sprung tinny thing with far to much plastic for our job. They are supplying these things as a trendy truck now with little regard for the guy that just needs it as a work horse. One of these would get smashed to bits inside six months with our guys.

Bob

I saw an Anorak that had only just clipped a wooden gatepost, all the plastic off the front n/s wing was toast (wheelarch and bumper corner) and the front bumper was broken on its mounts

Repair costs were over £2k, for a 5mph clipping of a field gatepost

Madness for a 'supposed' work truck

if i did lots of towing id get a landy but cab room and reliability are a problem, hilux are bomproof reliable had one for 4 years and only needed regular oil change and flew through all mots good off road, not great towing. mitsubishi tend to go through parts and engine probs on earlier models. navara avoid 02 to 04 plates as have dodgy engine. fourtrak are good but rust nissan patrol drink a lot.

thats all i have experienced with 4x4s

Since the recession took hold its more important than ever to pick the right vehicles. You need a company that still takes a pride in making a tough reliable product. Some design them to make it through the 3 year warranty then produce a steady stream of easy to fit failing parts that cost a fortune. They dont feel they make enough on the purchase price so ring you out afterwards wriggling out of warranty claims etc.

I was lucky with my fourtrak. I purchased it from a friend who had literally taken the body of the chassis to get at every little bit of rust. So apart from one rear wheel arch that is scabbing up it is in a1 condition. Not bad for a 15 year old truck that has been worked all its life

Since the recession took hold its more important than ever to pick the right vehicles. You need a company that still takes a pride in making a tough reliable product. Some design them to make it through the 3 year warranty then produce a steady stream of easy to fit failing parts that cost a fortune. They dont feel they make enough on the purchase price so ring you out afterwards wriggling out of warranty claims etc.

Pretty spot on :)

A mechanic once told me that the Europeans make components on a vehicle to last the 3 year warranty

Whereas Toyota used to make components to last the life time of the the vehicle ie 20 years

Look at all the war zones & see how many rebels use them :)