Bigger arb trucks

Horatio

So wondering what you boys with the bigger size chippers use as an arb truck.

I have a 3.5 ton tipper van, but oly have a 3/4 of a ton 6 inch chipper.

So if I wanted a 7" to 9" chipper, probably a bandit. What truck would I be looking to get?

The weight of the chipper would be too much for a 3.5 toner, or am I wrong?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So wondering what you boys with the bigger size chippers use as an arb truck.

I have a 3.5 ton tipper van, but oly have a 3/4 of a ton 6 inch chipper.

So if I wanted a 7" to 9" chipper, probably a bandit. What truck would I be looking to get?

The weight of the chipper would be too much for a 3.5 toner, or am I wrong?

HI MATE get one like chris bang tidy 4X4 mate it on his bang tidy post thanks jon :thumbup:

Depends on your van and license.

The Iveco is 3.5t but is plated for a 3.5t trailer as well - that's why i went for the bigger engine. For that i think you'll need a pre '97? license or a trailer test (not sure as i have Class 1 anyway).

HTH

Steve.

I have always run with a 4x4 pulling a large chipper 10 in 1.5 ton and a transit.

we have always had a problem with capacity on the transit on weight. But have alot capacity to chip with the chipper compaired with chippers we have hired eg greenmech and timderwolf of a simular size

Looking at May be a isuzi truck with a maximum of 7 tons gvw including chipper . So we can cut down on vechiles. And increase capacity of chip we can carry.

There must be someone who has experience in this with out going to a mog

One thing to consider is this:

If you have two smaller trucks and one breaks down, goes for MOT etc, you still have another truck to work with.

Also two small trucks could take a chipper and stump grinder to a job at the same time.

If you have one big truck and it breaks down......

Also, is it cheaper to run two small trucks rather than one big one?

That depends on how you run your business and the type of work you do.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

I have always run with a 4x4 pulling a large chipper 10 in 1.5 ton and a transit.

we have always had a problem with capacity on the transit on weight. But have alot capacity to chip with the chipper compaired with chippers we have hired eg greenmech and timderwolf of a simular size

Looking at May be a isuzi truck with a maximum of 7 tons gvw including chipper . So we can cut down on vechiles. And increase capacity of chip we can carry.

There must be someone who has experience in this with out going to a mog

Iveco daily. 6.5 ton down plated to 6 ton, tows our 2.2 ton chipper. Reasonable load and legal on an old folks licence. Loads of posts on here about it.

HI MATE get one like chris bang tidy 4X4 mate it on his bang tidy post thanks jon :thumbup:

Hi we have a MAN 7.5 TGL 8.180 7.5 tonner with a bandit 150 Xp 12 inch chipper this set up means I have to have hgv but it gives us great carrying capacity .the Iveco 4x4 you mention is a nice piece of kit but has very little carrying capacity for the size and cost(37k plus body) of the vehicle,you need a decent capacity for a big chipper to fill and horse power to tow it ,our truck will hold 10 cubic metres and we can fill it in 35-40 min.i hope this helps you.

Hi we have a MAN 7.5 TGL 8.180 7.5 tonner with a bandit 150 Xp 12 inch chipper this set up means I have to have hgv but it gives us great carrying capacity .the Iveco 4x4 you mention is a nice piece of kit but has very little carrying capacity for the size and cost(37k plus body) of the vehicle,you need a decent capacity for a big chipper to fill and horse power to tow it ,our truck will hold 10 cubic metres and we can fill it in 35-40 min.i hope this helps you.

HI PHILP for £37k plus tipper i were thinking they were alot more then that just a MOG then half tidy one for £40k :thumbup1:thanks jon :thumbup:

HI PHILP for £37k plus tipper i were thinking they were alot more then that just a MOG then half tidy one for £40k :thumbup1:thanks jon :thumbup:

Hi Jon ,that's the list price for the 3.5 tonne version single cab chassis before any discount + vat the 5.5 tonne and double cabs are a quite a bit more ,we looked at one but we don't do that much off road work so went down the 7.5 tonner route which is much smoother and better suited to our work ,:thumbup1:

Hi Jon ,that's the list price for the 3.5 tonne version single cab chassis before any discount + vat the 5.5 tonne and double cabs are a quite a bit more ,we looked at one but we don't do that much off road work so went down the 7.5 tonner route which is much smoother and better suited to our work ,:thumbup1:

Hi mate I no there's one Chris new some one in bath Somerset payed £65k plus vat but at £35k plus vat is good we were looking at VW pick up there £30 plus vat so one like Chris but single cab for £35 plus is cheap thanks jon