large ash hung up

hedgesparrow

I have scrolled an searched an hunted an looked.

Umpteen times.

Only photo I can see is of a Pine of some sort.

I have not yet been surprised by a wind-thrown or hung up trees behavouir, they must after all obey the laws of Physics.

However anything I would be cutting is generally long-time windthrown, so no trapped tension or compression, other than that caused by self weight and gravity.

Plus since I am doing it as a hobby I can spend time looking at and accessing likely behavouir, while taking a break from cutting other stuff.

Anyway, owt with large Mass is slow to accelerate, and plenty of time to get away.

Tis the small stuff that needs more care, as it will react so much faster.

In my very limited non commercial experience.

PS

Anyone care to link that photo for me?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umpteen times.

I have not yet been surprised by a wind-thrown or hung up trees behavouir, they must after all obey the laws of Physics.

However anything I would be cutting is generally long-time windthrown, so no trapped tension or compression, other than that caused by self weight and gravity.

Plus since I am doing it as a hobby I can spend time looking at and accessing likely behavouir, while taking a break from cutting other stuff.

Anyway, owt with large Mass is slow to accelerate, and plenty of time to get away.

PS

HI DIFF and i winch hungers wind blow out just need to watch out thats all thanks jon

Too right . I have seem a fat lip and a broken nose from an un noticed and suddenly freed springer of no more than an inch and a half dia !

Winched out thrown elm today. Left a b@@£)() of a hanger about 30 ft up in a beech. It's deep in a wood, so will look next week t see if its out after this weekend's winds. If not it'll be a climb to cut it out.

I love working wind throw too. A winch is definitely your best friend.

Hoping next week provides some fun.

Umpteen times.

PS

Get yourself into some fresh multiple blow Diff. You don't need to duck, if your thinking you can duck its too late. You'll be using the winch to hold the tension as you cut. Then slack the winch off afterwards.

You'll then see how stems around 20" can spring just like a 1" whip.

Though I agree, I've had a little tap from the thin stuff too. Always on the bloody nose!