defender tippers i want one

Tom Hall

It's more what you can put "forward" of the rear axle than whats "over" the rear axle and you have more room forward of the rear axle with a 130 than you do with a 110

Oh right, get it now.

Still hate 'em though.

(still hate 'em though)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys thanks for all the info

you have all posed the same question do i want or need one?

A year ago i would just of said want, and been very happy just to get a transit, but since then i have discovered the the transit is hopeless on anything less than tarmac, they have no guts, get towing anything and your power is all gone!

i work in lincolnshire so it is crap roads and fields and the amount of times we have said we would be better with a 4x4.

is there a more viable 4x4 alternative to a defender that will still have a min of a 3 tonne towing capacity?

The new Isuzu dmax. 1.3 payload, 3.5 towing. An awesome machine with 5 year warranty. Cost about 10000+ less than a defender 90 too.

Tom, dare I ask, is money an issue? If so, what sort of money are you looking to spend?

Reason I ask, is it may dismiss some of the points raised earlier in the thread. Such as Muttleys point about the Isuzu. Obviously that could get into very serious money to chase that option. Similarly, if you are thinking of building your own(in my opinion the best final result), yet still on a budget, the weight/axle loading issues can be overcome.

Such as buying the donor will be cheaper to get hold of a 110 over a 130, yet building your own spec can get the load forward by making the box higher that will give a bigger payload than the 130.

Depends how far you want to get involved with it, there are quite a few nick nacks to overcome to get the perfect truck, but mostly comes down to getting the right thing to suit your set up.

P.S, Other thoughts come to mind such as how many times can you tip on site? Having a truck such as a tranny carrying 6 cube of chip is pointless if you always drag stuff down the road. Many folk aren't too concerned about running overweight, but I know with my 110 you could overload easily without needing the extra room in the back of a 130.

Mine has not broke down in 5 years, nor the ones before it, all second hand, just look after them.

I can get 4.5 to 5 m of chip on mine, but I doubt that would be legal, payload of 1.25 ton roughly.

The 130 single cab spreads the axle loading better than the 110.

I'm getting 25 ish mpg unless I tow a heavy load.

People that say they are cr*p just don't know what they are on about, listen to those who have used them over a long period of time, if they were a bad motor we wouldn't be using them.

Hi Geoff I love my one they hold there money very well to and my one does 25)27 mpg so that's ok with me and there cheap to keep going to what you can earn with one is good to as we use it for the wood too thanks Jon

There are good ones out there, you need to be patient and keep looking for low mileage ones and non ex electricity board ones that have been abused and converted. I love mine and it suits my needs but everyone's needs are different depending on the size of your business etc. My only gripe is that the brakes are crap compared to my L200, But I have been told this is normal.

buy a hilux and put a tipper on the back. all the time you save not being under the land rover or under the bonnet, can be spent doing other things!!

i bought a 97 single cab 4x4 hilux in 2001. its done 225,000. it got to 200,000 on the original clutch!! dont know much about the newer ones. it carries the weight well as it had air ride fitted! plug in a compressor and watch the back rise to a normal looking level. will get it fitted to a new truck when the sad time comes.

get a 4x4 though, the closer you get to the trees the better, fields, parks, lawns etc. makes some jobs possible.

plus you can tip logs or chip in muddy conditions, you get to have fun in the snow to.

good luck

buy a hilux and put a tipper on the back. all the time you save not being under the land rover or under the bonnet, can be spent doing other things!!

i bought a 97 single cab 4x4 hilux in 2001. its done 225,000. it got to 200,000 on the original clutch!! dont know much about the newer ones. it carries the weight well as it had air ride fitted! plug in a compressor and watch the back rise to a normal looking level. will get it fitted to a new truck when the sad time comes.

get a 4x4 though, the closer you get to the trees the better, fields, parks, lawns etc. makes some jobs possible.

plus you can tip logs or chip in muddy conditions, you get to have fun in the snow to.

good luck

Had a bad encounter with a landy?

HI 18 what was the bad encounter then mate jon :thumbup:

I was asking Frets Jon, seemed he was a bit negative about reliability or "under the land rover or under the bonnet"

Ive no worries on them Jon, been running them for almost 20 years continuously and never had one let me down yet:thumbup1: