Hauling chip vs round logs

nooie

Which would be the most efficient way for hauling timber to a biomass site 7 miles from the wood?

We are needing to move 6 tonnes a day and not sure which is most cost effective, would it be best chipped in the wood into a bulk farm type trailer or transport the round log and chip it at the boiler site?

We have a tractor for the haulage. There are no timber lorries here so we use our own tractor.

Thanks..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have thought it would be better chipped in the woods. Then you can leave any rubbish there, and take a more efficient trailer load (fewer air gaps in chip than in logs, and only good chippings as the rubbish has been left behind) to the burner. Also, if they're going to store it for any length of time before burning I guess it would dry quicker in chip form than as whole logs? (As long as someone stirs the chip pile from time to time!)

I should mention that I've never chipped any wood, so don't rely on anything I say here!

Surely the above is not that relevant? Yes, it may be if you're moving thousands of tons at a time but 6t will fit in one trailer load as either logs or chip (assuming you have a suitable trailer?)

What trailer would you use?

Do you have a trailer for both options?

How is the chipper powered and would it stay in the woods/ at the tip-site?

Surely the above is not that relevant? Yes, it may be if you're moving thousands of tons at a time but 6t will fit in one trailer load as either logs or chip (assuming you have a suitable trailer?)

What trailer would you use?

Do you have a trailer for both options?

How is the chipper powered and would it stay in the woods/ at the tip-site?

I think what is meant is that 6T of rounds would , say fill the trailer where as 6t of chip would only fill it say one third full . Therefore you could shift more if you filled it with chip so less trips .....

Our chipper is powered by the tractor that will be used for transporting the timber in which ever form. If we were to chip straight into a trailer, we will probably get a bulk silage type trailer. I would prefer to chip in the wood and haul it that way.

There is also maybe another reason to chip in the wood. There will be a few guys working at the boiler site so possibly safer to chip away from others.

From an overall efficiency view 7miles. If you chip at source you handle less. Whilst tractor is travelling with chip more wood is being processed back in the woods. Whereas hauling cordwood. More crew will need to to and fro, which is non productive time.

If you hauled it all to site then chipped, and longer distances were involved it would go in favor to chip at site.

A cubic meter of timber weighs between 1 and 2 tons depending what it is, that will make about twice that volume when chipped. The only wood that will reduce in volume is the lop and top. To shift 6 ton of chip you will need at least a 15 cubic meter trailer

Bob