website yes or no

54gka

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been thinking about getting one for a while.What do you guys think.A waste of money or not.

Okay, so you have a choice really of what type of website you use or have built. If like you say you want to add pictures and text etc yourself which was my old site, then you will probably be looking at a Wordpress php site or similar, Wordpress sites are a blogging template site essentially but can be used as content management sites also and made to look very professional and clean. To set up a Wordpress site and design it to your corporate colours will make it stand out from the rest

Or have one built from scratch! a site that is totally a bespoke build that can include everything bar the content management system which basically means The designer does the updates to text and images which costs next to nothing unless you want a site rebuild but you still have full access to the hosting and the site files. This option gives your company a completely unique web presence, your site will not be a template that has had work done to css to change it slightly to look different if you see what I mean. This option is around £600 but this gives you home page, about us, gallery, contact us pages and is designed to work on desktop, tablet and mobile. The Wordpress will work on different screen sizes (which is a must these days) but uses a semi responsive design which might not always sit completely central on certain screens, so it looks okay and is usable but the second option is actually designed specifically to fit the all screen sizes.

A good designer can also speed up your 1st page google presence with SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) on the site. This costs an extra £150 Also, just so that you know if you decided to go with a bespoke websitetb the designer would need to know if you wanted the SEO option at the outset because SEO is not just about good keyword generation theses days, search engines look at page names, image titles, website copy, preferential background colour, text etc in order to give better and more accurate searches so they would design specifically towards SEO and 1st page google searches aimed at your catchment area. This can save you quite a bit of money with adwords and takes around three to six weeks for the search engines to start picking you up on a new site build.

So if you want to edit the site yourself the Wordpress option is the way to go. Or the second option for a bespoke build that your designer or any other designer for that matter handles the updates on.

Okay, so I hope I have made myself clear and not confused the issue further for you. Let me know if you want any more info.

The bloke i used is Gavin Munnings who owns stonkcreative it took him a couple of months to build my site and TBH I was a real pain in his ass with changing things. Mine has been up and running for a couple of months now and getting a really good response from it, it's not quite finished as it has a few stock photos on it, which I need to update with my own, which is a bit of a sore subject with myself at the moment as my delightful ex wife decided to destroy my computer when we split !, which i subsequently lost all my photos vids and customer profiles for the last 8 years !!!! Ahh happy days ! :( b!!!!h. Never the less it should be fully complete with new files and vids within a month or two !!

Take a look at mine and see what you think:)

http://www.ace-arb.co.uk

Gavin's the designer contact number is :-

07796 677299

http://www.stonk.net

DO some research. Don't take the first solution you come across just because its cheap and easy, because 9 times out of 10 thats exactly just how the site ends up looking. Your website is your shop window, make it count

Sound advice from Mr Bullman. It isn't rocket science but there is a level of skill and experience needed to get the most out of it. Just ponder all the threads on here that cause much excitement, derision and scorn from professional arborists when people assume tree work can't be that difficult. It is just the same for web design (although getting it wrong is never quite as catastrophic!). Each to their own. Equally don't assume because you pay for a site it will be of quality; a fantastic piece of graphic design is of no use if it hasn't got the proper foundations to support it.

it's not quite finished as it has a few stock photos on it, which I need to update with my own, which is a bit of a sore subject with myself at the moment as my delightful ex wife decided to destroy my computer when we split !, which i subsequently lost all my photos vids and customer profiles for the last 8 years !!!! Ahh happy days ! :( b!!!!h. Never the less it should be fully complete with new files and vids within a month or two !!

Take a look at mine and see what you think:)

Ace Arboriculture Tree Surgeons in East Devon Exmouth.

Stonk Creative Graphic Design Company, Website Design,

Hey, I upload images etc onto DROPBOX where they are safe. Also I keep copies on a hard disk storage device thingy, safe from vengeful wives...

I've just had a butchers at your site, very spangley and dynamic.

It's got a personal element to it with a short life story, something I have decided to do away with in case one day I need to sell the company and move on.

Interesting how lot's of focus on regulations.

I can't see how that would work over here.

Brits do seem to have a preoccupation with rules and regs in their home country but not so over here...

Rarely am I asked for insurance or tickets or even if I am registered by both French and British.

As for Chalaria, no-one gives a damn here!

I like the idea of a slide show on the landing page but my web master tells me 'no can do' as the site is optimised for tablets and smaller devices which would be slower to load the page.

What's the experience of others on this?

Regards

Edited by Ty Korrigan
Left off stuff...

Hey, I upload images etc onto DROPBOX where they are safe. Also I keep copies on a hard disk storage device thingy, safe from vengeful wives...

I've just had a butchers at your site, very spangley and dynamic.

It's got a personal element to it with a short life story, something I have decided to do away with in case one day I need to sell the company and move on.

Interesting how lot's of focus on regulations.

I can't see how that would work over here.

Brits do seem to have a preoccupation with rules and regs in their home country but not so over here...

Rarely am I asked for insurance or tickets or even if I am registered by both French and British.

As for Chalaria, no-one gives a damn here!

I like the idea of a slide show on the landing page but my web master tells me 'no can do' as the site is optimised for tablets and smaller devices which would be slower to load the page.

What's the experience of others on this?

Regards

I've got a 3d slideshow on mine and it works fine on mobiles as isn't flash. Previous incarnations of my site have all had slideshows which worked too. If it's an issue do you have a dedicated lightweight version just for mobiles?

Learn the basics of website building, coding etc, saves me shed loads in changes i make myself. Every company should have a website, the problem is as more do the web becomes like a giant yellow pages and the work spreads thinner reducing its worth. But that's life doo daaa dooooo.

Have a look at my site i can change everything on it at will, did not cost much and i receive much praise for it, don't copy it tho cheeky be creative and unique. :thumbup:

quote "I like the idea of a slide show on the landing page but my web master tells me 'no can do' as the site is optimised for tablets and smaller devices which would be slower to load the page.

What's the experience of others on this?"

mine was sorted to work on both big and small screen Im no pc man but dont see any difference in either .

------------------------------

Ref website 100% YES

I had domain name sorted from compamy in Bristol, think it's Names.co

Friend a basic site sorted but I had to ask him to update each/change each time, then things got busy for him and was to much with all the other stuff he had going on

Got local guy to sort out whole thing, running Wordpress , I can chop n change things add/ remove bits very pleased with whole thing, not sure how "outsiders" see it /think of it

Blokes Name is Damon Bridport Web Design

good luck

Hi

Yes, its a no brainer:

1. Keep it simple, one page elegantly designed & laid out with relevant facts may do to start with

2. Try and avoid domain names that are a mouthful as no one will remember them

3. Ensure it can be found with the most popular search engines

4. Consider linking to social media (ie Fb) as its very easy to post new content

for starters

N

Edited by NFG