logwood gasifying boiler or woodchip boiler?

difflock

For the about to be introduced RHI scheme in Northern Ireland.

I got an accepted for a Froling logwood gasifier.............................but

Am swithering about a wood chip system instead.

I can apparently buy a Gandnia chipper for 6k 2nd hand.

Are they any good, as a brand?, and are they suitable for producing woodchip suitable for the automatic boiler feeding systems?

I take it substantially more capital investment required?

Thoughts please.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of buying a chipper, what about getting tree surgeons chips and drying it out?

Im thinking the same!? the equipment may need to come from a registered supplier but surly not the fuel? providing you can set up a cheap drying process and the chip is of the right size and shape for you boiler i see no problem.

How about a diy solution? no government grants but if you like tinkering it could work?

Chippers International

Erm,

I was aware of the brand, but it appears they are aimed at the disposal of brash by chipping.......as opposed to wood-chip biomass production.

I would be feeding it reasonably clean lodgepole sans needles or small branches.

I would rather hire a machine but this one came up in conversation today with a tree surgeon

Edited by difflock

I had considered a wood chip installation back about 8 years ago before I choose to install the logwood gasifier.

I have "unlimited" "free" wood so it would not make sense to buy chip.

I reckon if I either set the smaller dia logs aside for chipping, or split the larger to size to suit a smaller chipper, I could either preferably hire, or reluctantly buy a tractor powered 2nd hand chipper.

I do rather fancy the "automatic" nature of the chip system, even if I had to transfer chip from a bulk store to a hopper, say on a weekly basis.

The auto lighting system is a big attraction.

I would also retain my 2000litre accumulator tank.

However

I understand these chip systems are better suited to larger, more commercial sized systems.

For domestic use, it all seems to have swung to pellet systems.

Must have a prowl on the greenbuilding forum

cheers

m

Edited by difflock

We use the 09TPS PTO version. Am told it's design hasn't changed in 20yrs so it's a proven design with angled fly wheel so you don't need top hp for seasoned cord chipping (as you know greenwood is easier on the engine), a screen to stop slithers/splinters getting blown into the chip pile and a bladed anvil as well. Only downside is we haven't got the stress control fitted. One day, I'll get one fitted...

In short, old technology, robust (unlike TW :001_tt2:) but 6K sounds like it's a refurb, so good luck

I have a customer who went for an Eta log boiler and thinks it is fantastic and my friend is in the process of installing one to feed his house, his sisters next door and their parents across the yard. They appear to be superb quality.

I had considered a wood chip installation back about 8 years ago before I choose to install the logwood gasifier.

I have "unlimited" "free" wood so it would not make sense to buy chip.

I reckon if I either set the smaller dia logs aside for chipping, or split the larger to size to suit a smaller chipper, I could either preferably hire, or reluctantly buy a tractor powered 2nd hand chipper.

I do rather fancy the "automatic" nature of the chip system, even if I had to transfer chip from a bulk store to a hopper, say on a weekly basis.

The auto lighting system is a big attraction.

I would also retain my 2000litre accumulator tank.

If you have logs and the accumulator then I don't see much advantage in going to chip unless you have a large silo, even then do you need a system that you won't attend daily. Of course even automatic chip stokers need de ashing and tube cleaning so they are not labour free in between fills.

However

I understand these chip systems are better suited to larger, more commercial sized systems.

The chap who has my 10" TP on long term borrow successfully ran a little 70kW Baxi and a bigger one whose name escapes me, all on dead hedgerow elm. Now he runs a big biogas plant so has no need of woodheat.

For domestic use, it all seems to have swung to pellet systems.

Must have a prowl on the greenbuilding forum

cheers

m

But how much for pellets? Pellets essentially move the capital expense from the chip feeder to the pellet mill but the mill expects to recoup the investment.

Last year I saw a 4 year old 500kW system by Kob get knocked down for £8k, secondhand chip stokers are cheap.