Badgers

home of wood

I would love to see other animals reintroduced into the wild. Bears and a wolf or two would be fantastic.

The human subject just cracked me up. What about immigrants aswell, can we have a good cull on them aswell, for sitting on there backside eating all the food?

No, 50% of immigrants pick up the slack from the dole dossers, I'm for the badger cull, as the population grows exponentially towards the carrying capacity for an area, the animals welfare declines! It's better for them to meet their end quickly from a rifle than starve to death! The best example for this is buzzards, bloody everywhere a few years ago! They gobbled up all the food, so now there's less food, so now there's less buzzards, kuz the food is harder to find

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, 50% of immigrants pick up the slack from the dole dossers, I'm for the badger cull, as the population grows exponentially towards the carrying capacity for an area, the animals welfare declines! It's better for them to meet their end quickly from a rifle than starve to death! The best example for this is buzzards, bloody everywhere a few years ago! They gobbled up all the food, so now there's less food, so now there's less buzzards, kuz the food is harder to find

Oh right. I wasn't starting an argument over the cull.

You must not have walked around my town before and seen the immigrants sitting outside there houses leaning on nice shiny BMW cars smoking and drinking all day long.

Or watched them all being chased by the coppers for something or other.:laugh1:

Oh right. I wasn't starting an argument over the cull.

You must not have walked around my town before and seen the immigrants sitting outside there houses leaning on nice shiny BMW cars smoking and drinking all day long.

Or watched them all being chased by the coppers for something or other.:laugh1:

Oh yeah, you get good ones and bad ones, like saws, or cars, though I do think a cull on humans would be more challenging, with it turning into a free-for-all

Pro cull here!! I have seen the effects of bTB on cattle here in West Devon. But I don't think it will be enough on its own. Vaccinating badgers was always going to be completely impractical, however vaccinating cattle should be the way ahead. Hopefully a suitable vaccine will be passed safe in the near future. To be honest the likes of Brian May and the RSPCA have done little to help the situation. He should have stayed in the music industry and left the running of the countryside to those who know better! As for the RSPCA, well they have lost their way...turned from an organization formed to improve animal welfare into an extremist, politicised animal rights organization!!

Pro cull here!! I have seen the effects of bTB on cattle here in West Devon. But I don't think it will be enough on its own. Vaccinating badgers was always going to be completely impractical, however vaccinating cattle should be the way ahead. Hopefully a suitable vaccine will be passed safe in the near future. To be honest the likes of Brian May and the RSPCA have done little to help the situation. He should have stayed in the music industry and left the running of the countryside to those who know better! As for the RSPCA, well they have lost their way...turned from an organization formed to improve animal welfare into an extremist, politicised animal rights organization!!

its the same up here in north devon nearly every dairy/ beef farm are down with btb or have just had movement restrictions lifted and just hoping next time they are tested they go clear after todays protests the governing bodies need to see how serious this situation is everybody wants to know the true facts not '' he told me this but i say that'' this problem is all over europe if this goes on unchecked and no action taken what next will mutate into the deer population and infect them as well

Unlikely to affect deer because they have not been genetically modified, they are not highly stressed throughout their productive lifespan, they're not intensively farmed, transported country and continent wide, cross contaminating due to poor biosec. The disease is a symptom of the farming system and badgers, through contact with cattle, have acquired the disease. That's why it's called BOVINE TB. vaccinating cattle, improving biosec and a movement away from intensive farming is the logical way forward. The badger is the scapegoat in this situation, the farming system is the real culprit but who wants to acknowledge that....

Unlikely to affect deer because they have not been genetically modified, they are not highly stressed throughout their productive lifespan, they're not intensively farmed, transported country and continent wide, cross contaminating due to poor biosec. The disease is a symptom of the farming system and badgers, through contact with cattle, have acquired the disease. That's why it's called BOVINE TB. vaccinating cattle, improving biosec and a movement away from intensive farming is the logical way forward. The badger is the scapegoat in this situation, the farming system is the real culprit but who wants to acknowledge that....

Kevin I usually agree with most of your comments but this time I think you may have your facts wrong...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/files/pub-advice-tb-deer.pdf

As far as I'm aware, (I do a bit of deer stalking myself) all deer stalkers will check the lungs of shot deer for TB scarring, if found DEFRA should be informed.

How anyone can think its ok to destroy cattle but leave badgers alone is beyond my comprehension. Badgers spread bTB, FACT.:thumbdown:

Before Badgers were protected to the hilt, there weren't any problems with BTB. But since they were protected problems have arose in varying forms. Although it sounds unpleasant about a "cull" it isnt technically a cull, it is just what should have been happening throughout the farming industry on a larger scale. Otherwise known as close control. Shoot the unhealthy ones but leave the young, fresh ones to keep a healthy stock.

But what would the tax payer rather pay £338/badger to be vaccinated or £1.50/round?

Kevin I usually agree with most of your comments but this time I think you may have your facts wrong...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/files/pub-advice-tb-deer.pdf

As far as I'm aware, (I do a bit of deer stalking myself) all deer stalkers will check the lungs of shot deer for TB scarring, if found DEFRA should be informed.

How anyone can think its ok to destroy cattle but leave badgers alone is beyond my comprehension. Badgers spread bTB, FACT.:thumbdown:

Ok, perhaps I was typing before brain fully engaged! Yes TB can be found in deer (and humans!) The point I wanted to make, perhaps too hastily, was that intensive farming is concentrating cattle in close proximity, trans continental movement and poor animal husbandry combined with a "stressful" existence brought about by maximising dairy or beef output is more likely to cause the spread of bTB. It is BOVINE TB that is spreading into the wild environment not the other way round. I stalk deer too, when did you, or anyone you know last find or report TB in a deer you shot? It's rare, thankfully. But there in lies the explanation of why the badger cull is irrational. If this cull doesn't produce the (NFU) desired results, what do we blame next? Deer, humans? If you keep getting an electric shock should you cut the electric off or take your finger out of the plug socket? Cause & effect!