am i insured? please help!

James Atkinson

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what you need to know is does he have employment liability cover. so if he employs a sub contrator you and damage is caused he is covered by the insurance. as for payment. what he needs to do is pay you as sub contractors not the cliant. then the insurance should be ok if client pays you they are employing you not main contractor so you need your own PL insurance.

get him to pay you direct then pay your own tax and NI as a self employed person. you can claim back a lot eg clothes fuel saws. but doing it the way you are doing it at mo on very dodgy ground. he is insured but the rest of you are not. re vat if he does not want to be vat registered he does not have to untill you are turning over i beleive £100k before is up to the company

what you need to know is does he have employment liability cover. so if he employs a sub contrator you and damage is caused he is covered by the insurance. as for payment. what he needs to do is pay you as sub contractors not the cliant. then the insurance should be ok if client pays you they are employing you not main contractor so you need your own PL insurance.

get him to pay you direct then pay your own tax and NI as a self employed person. you can claim back a lot eg clothes fuel saws. but doing it the way you are doing it at mo on very dodgy ground. he is insured but the rest of you are not. re vat if he does not want to be vat registered he does not have to untill you are turning over i beleive £100k before is up to the company

I don't think you have to good a grip on this, its employers liability (compulsory) insurance (ELCI), and that will provide cover to any employee that is injured in the course of work. ELCI wont cover damage done to a third part property, for that you need public liability insurance

thankyou for all your replys, i think a few have got carried away, we are all self employed, we all pay our taxes, i put my equipment through, we all pay the tax man as a self employed person, the main man has public liability and employment liability and we are all legit in that sense, just wanted to make sure i was covered under his public/employment liability if something happens too me.with regards payment, he is gong to pay me directly from now on, we just didnt know what the law was on that.

I don't think you have to good a grip on this, its employers liability (compulsory) insurance (ELCI), and that will provide cover to any employee that is injured in the course of work. ELCI wont cover damage done to a third part property, for that you need public liability insurance

this is the bit im interested in, i know he has everything regards to public liability and employees liability, iv checked, the question is im not a employee, im a sub contractor( self employed) , so does this simply mean i need my own?

this is the bit im interested in, i know he has everything regards to public liability and employees liability, iv checked, the question is im not a employee, im a sub contractor( self employed) , so does this simply mean i need my own?

As a "subbie" you are covered on his EL insurance, however as you are getting paid by the client there is no proof that he pay's you or you have worked for him so if he tells you to do something and you have an accident and try and sue the first thing he will do is say "prove it"..................you can't.

What you should do is invoice (Duplicate book) the boss for said day's work and he pays you, he then invoices the customer.............it really is quite simple.

Edited by Ian C

If you rock up to work and he tells you what to do the law regards you as his employee so his ELCI will cover you and his PL will cover what you do.

Anything else is sub contract and you would be wise to have your own insurances