Double glazing

mikecotterill

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitted my own around 8 years ago, not as difficult as you may think, I did around two windows a day.

The cost - around £200 for a normal mis size window, £250 - 300 for a door, £500 for a french window and a fitter would charge around £100 per apperture fitting.

Four windows - around £1k and £1.5k for fitting and disposal - sounds a little steep IMO!

I burnt my old frames so a double win:thumbup:

All new double glazing is now covered by fitsa regs. All fitters must have the ticket to fit them. It's rubbish really. I think the test involves having to use at least 2 newspapers per window to fill gaps.

You can fit your own or an unqualified can fit, but you have to get builing inspector out to inspect your work. He will issue the certificate the fitter should. If you fit them on the quiet, when you come to sell your house, you will have to take out indemnity insurance. This is no problem either really, just a bit annoying as can interfere with a sale.

I fit a lot of windows (no ticket) and wouldn't dream of letting most fittets near my house.

If you decide to fit your own you should be able to buy the windows for around £1000 from clyde windows. There windows are good and super cheap. This should save you £1500 for a weekends work. If your unsure what's involved, pm me and ill run you through it.

James

Safestyle want 2700 for the same but would of done it for 2350 if we signed today, but they did have a charge of 900 for scaffolding and easy deck! Included in that. 600 quid was for scaffolding over a garage! Hopefully a neighbours dad is gonna help us out.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

All new double glazing is now covered by fitsa regs. All fitters must have the ticket to fit them.

FENSA it's a self certification by professionals thing covered by the building regulations. If you diy you are required to make a building regulation notification, same as fitting a new stove, problem is the charge is normally higher than what you save by not having them professionally done. It only really crops up as a problem when the property is sold.

I agree with most of the comments about price, our local guy fitted 5 double casement windows in a small bungalow for me in 2010 for £1350, 10 similar in December 2010 for £3270 and 2 more in Jan 2011 for £580.

All were fitted from inside without need for scaffolding or ladders but we were left to fettle the rebates with sealant on the upstairs windows.

FENSA it's a self certification by professionals thing covered by the building regulations. If you diy you are required to make a building regulation notification.

That's what I said bar my bloody predictive txt playing up.

Only time a scaffold should be needed for upstairs is either on a complicated bay, or on a older rendered property where render damage is likely. All sealing can be done from a ladder bar places above roofs etc where other options are available.

I disagree with building regs callout being paticularly expensive, I do them often as like to fit windows on my own jobs and can save money for the client and increase my profit by doing so.

James