Weight of logs and vehicle.

Woodworks

Following on from the recent discussion about needing a tachograph if your train weight is over 3.5 ton I thought I had better check we were legal so visited a local weigh bridge.

A Landrover defender with Ifor LM105 and one up came to 2460 KG and 2m3 of dry hardwood logs weighed 640 KG so total train weight of 3100 KG.

Quite relieved to see we are are fine as we are :thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe im wrong but I believe its only the vehicle and doesn't relate to a trailer if your towing 1?

Ive got a 3 1/2 ton plated transit but Im under the impression I can still tow aswell etc without a tach.

If what your saying right then pretty much every 4x4 towing a caravan and hire company that towes around mini diggers etc would need a tacho which is incorrect.

If you where carrying a load that exceeded 3 1/2 tonnes in/on your landy alone then yes a tach is required.

Maybe im wrong but I believe its only the vehicle and doesn't relate to a trailer if your towing 1?

Ive got a 3 1/2 ton plated transit but Im under the impression I can still tow aswell etc without a tach.

If what your saying right then pretty much every 4x4 towing a caravan and hire company that towes around mini diggers etc would need a tacho which is incorrect.

If you where carrying a load that exceeded 3 1/2 tonnes in/on your landy alone then yes a tach is required.

Have a read through this. https://www.gov.uk/tachographs/overview

I was blissfully unaware of the rules until it was recently discussed on here.

By the way how is the recuperation going?

Have a read through this. https://www.gov.uk/tachographs/overview

I was blissfully unaware of the rules until it was recently discussed on here.

By the way how is the recuperation going?

Not to bad thanks tho didn't bagain on still having to double over every time a cough or sneeze is imminent lol

"For vehicles or vehicle and trailer combinations with a gross or train weight of more than 3.5 tonnes and up to 7.5 tonnes, tachographs are not required to be fitted and the EU Drivers’ Hours rules don’t apply when that vehicle or vehicle combination is used on a non-commercial basis. When deciding whether or not a vehicle is legitimately used non-commercially, we must apply the same criteria as we do for the application of goods vehicle operator licensing – is the vehicle used for

hire or reward or in connection with a trade

or business?"

In others words you get penalised if your a trader but Jo Bloggs who may drive with a trailer once in a blue moon can do it without a tach?

Just another reason to have unsignwritten vehicles :sneaky2:

follow the links that have been supplied previous messages but essentially you dont need a tacho for a caravan or if you are towing machinery for use within 50km of base but if your towing goods for sale then you need one. vosa gave us an example if you take a horse to competition but dont win a prize your fine without a tacho if you win the competition and get for example £20 prize you have received a reward and must have a tacho to take your horse away.

Nope if you exceed 3.5t train weight total on a weigh bridge then you need a tacho. Unless you're operating under one of the exemptions....... The information is quite clearly there on the .gov website if you look for it.

Sorry to put a dampener on things but !,

Its not if you exceed but if you are ABLE to exceed, it does not matter what weight you actually have on board.

If the thread starters un-leadan train weight was 2460kgs, I am guessing the trailer is about 800kg un-leaden BUT is able to run with a fully laden weight of say 3500, ( maybe 3300).

The Defender is about 1800 kg, IF the trailer was fully loaded ( and thats what the ministry use not what you actually have on it) that gives a maximum loaded train weight of 5200kg. So if you are on Hire/Reward, so delivering sold logs then you are needing a tacho for sure.

One other thing to check is that the towing vechicle is rated to pull the trailer when fully loaded. Think you should be ok with a Defender, max tow weight should be in the drivers hand book.

With a 1800kg towing vehicle and cargo weight of 640kg, the heaviest trailer you could use non tacho would be 3500 -2440 ( towing vech + cargo) would have a stated load capacity including the weight of the trailer unladen of 960kg max. So that would be 320kg unladen. ( if my mental maths is right !!) about half the desired weight and certainly in single axle territory.

Think thats right.

A

Edited by Alycidon

So if I drop a load of logs off but they've forgotten to go to the bank and I don't get paid I'm alright then.

Cushty.

Dont underestimate them, they do have a lot of power and have heard it all before, probably at least once a day. You would maybe have to prove that you were delivering to a friend and took no payment in a court. If there was an intention to charge/pay for your supply then its a tacho. Fine is about £400 for a first offence. I played wide eyed and innocent and luckily got away with it but had a tacho fitted later that week.

A