For those who mistake double z with "d"

RobArb

No, it's a reason. Not an excuse.

Acceptance of phonetic spelling by colleges when assessing written work has to be one of the biggest flaws ever in our education system. It lets young men and women out into the real world with atrocious writing skills.

Anyone who attempts to get their point across without using textspeak is ok in my book. If the moderators are tidying up thread titles then that is a great thing.

Bad spellers aren't thick either. They've just missed out somewhere along their educational road.

Guide and educate. Don't take the p1ss.

I am not extracting the urine mate.

I have quite a few friends who are dyslexic. Most of them have come out of university with good degrees.

The reason they passed wasn't dyslexia, it was bloody hard work.

If they could write a 10000 word dissertation and be bothered to spell check it, why can't some people do the same on a forum where posts are considerably shorter?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right Rich, but remember that diagnosed dyslexics get support and a certain amount of leeway in their written work. They are not penalised for poor spelling.

What I think we must be careful of is that the forum is not seen as elitist. It's such a welcoming group. I would hate to think that a youngster would be discouraged from asking a question because his spelling and grammar are poor.

There was an era in education when learning spelling was not encouraged, with other areas of the curriculum given greater importance. Children are reading less too, visual games replacing books. The more you read, the more the correct spelling sinks in.

Like I said above, I'm not a fan of textspeak. However I do understand that for some children, whose education was ineffective for whatever reason, it's the only method of written communication they know.

No, it's a reason. Not an excuse.

Acceptance of phonetic spelling by colleges when assessing written work has to be one of the biggest flaws ever in our education system. It lets young men and women out into the real world with atrocious writing skills.

Anyone who attempts to get their point across without using textspeak is ok in my book. If the moderators are tidying up thread titles then that is a great thing.

Bad spellers aren't thick either. They've just missed out somewhere along their educational road.

Guide and educate. Don't take the p1ss.

I never said they were, I said it gives the impression of being so, that's not taking the pee, it's a fact.

You're right Rich, but remember that diagnosed dyslexics get support and a certain amount of leeway in their written work. They are not penalised for poor spelling.

What I think we must be careful of is that the forum is not seen as elitist. It's such a welcoming group. I would hate to think that a youngster would be discouraged from asking a question because his spelling and grammar are poor.

more the correct spelling sinks in.

There was an era in education when learning spelling was not encouraged, with other areas of the curriculum given greater importance. Children are reading less too, visual games replacing books. The more you read, the

Like I said above, I'm not a fan of textspeak. However I do understand that for some children, whose education was ineffective for whatever reason, it's the only method of written communication they know.

Funny you should say that, literacy skills are actually more important now than ever, what with FB, forums, the rise of the internet etc. people are writing (albeit on a keyboard) more than ever, certainly more than 30 years ago.

Edited by Le Sanglier
you know, spelling 'n' stuff

[/u][/b]

Funny you should say that, literacy skills are actually more important now than ever, what with FB, forums, the rise of the internet etc. people are writing (albeit on a keyboard) more than ever, certainly more than 30 years ago.

Definitely. My wife has taught primary for over 20 years. She was pulling her hair out with some of the guidance from above. A lot of which she ignored when it came to spelling and also memorising the times tables.

How frustrating it must be to be aware your writing skills aren't up to scratch, but want to express yourself clearly.

Definitely. My wife has taught primary for over 20 years. She was pulling her hair out with some of the guidance from above. A lot of which she ignored when it came to spelling and also memorising the times tables.

How frustrating it must be to be aware your writing skills aren't up to scratch, but want to express yourself clearly.[/Q

A woman of infinite patience I imagine. She has my respect.

My own personal point of view, as a moderator, is that in general people like Mendiplogs are "good posters". I do not have to edit out swear words for example, or monitor every phrase they write in case it will offend people. It takes all sorts from all walks to make any community, even a virtual community, and tolerance of others is required. I wouldn't like everyone to post like Jon, but then I wouldn't want the forum to be straight-laced and purely informative either, I think it would be dull and tedious. Hardly what we would like really.

So it makes the forum look less than professional? Less than homeowners seeking advice and getting knocked back? Less professional than bickering on the forum? Live and let live. :001_smile:

I think you can soon figure out what is being said by the poster. I had a relatively good education and also read a lot but havnt got a clue when to use punctuation marks ect if that makes me come across as thick or stupid so be it but you can only really judge someone when you meet them face to face

Allmost had something important to add to this but got put off as did not know how to spell the opening word.

No this is not how it should be,just because I am not a good speller it will not stop me adding to a thred or putting my 10pence worth across.

Yes I coul go get the big book of words from the shelf and look up how to spell its name but by that time the point is lost or someone ells has jumped in and derailed what you were trying to get across.

Just because I struggle to put down on paper/keyboard what I want to will not stop me contributing to this forum and should not stop anyone ells as something that could be important to all could go unsed.

Now count up all the 'bads' in that Im of for a cizzer!