Heights

ambo100

I was all ways scared of heights as a kid .. Have worked off 50m platforms for dead wellies and done a few big crane dismantles that the driver will extend the boom fully then take you right to the top before taking you over the crown and dropping you in.. That scares you the first few times then you don't really think about it afterwords.. Having a respect for heights is a good thing as it will keep you safer but the more you do the easier it gets... Have not had elvis legs up a tree for a long time!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that making sure you know all your kit is in order, your knots are holding, everything is checked and you're prepared for work by the time you leave the floor (and certainly before you reach 6ft) - sets you up to work with a good mind set at any height. Getting up 100ft and wondering if you should have actually replaced that prussik is not a good place to be. Being prepared in advance of work will really calm anyone down, for example - climbing a 200 for the first time? Get some notes down on SRT and figure out the do's and donts rather than winging it for sure! It'll eliminate the 'is that supposed to do that?' mentality

Spoke to the bloke I replaced today and the reason he stopped was a sudden fear of heights. He said as soon as he hit 42 that was it

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Strange, my father developed a fear of heights in his late forties, he wouldn't climb the house roof anymore:confused1:, I'm about that same age now so I wonder if that'll happen to me:lol::lol:

I'm more scared of the younger lads working at height than I am myself now, that they won't do something stupid like not checking on changeovers.

I think as you gain experience, awareness of height becomes less of an issue as more time is spent concentrating on the job in hand. Often I don't even notice the views, unless I'm waiting for a saw refill and have a gaze around.

My own personal biggest fear/phobia is working over railings, falling and being impaled:001_rolleyes: Never got over that, after 27-28yrs climbing, still have to focus on the task and try to close my mind to whats underneath. Irrational really.

Strange, my father developed a fear of heights in his late forties, he wouldn't climb the house roof anymore:confused1:, I'm about that same age now so I wonder if that'll happen to me:lol::lol:

I'm more scared of the younger lads working at height than I am myself now, that they won't do something stupid like not checking on changeovers.

I think as you gain experience, awareness of height becomes less of an issue as more time is spent concentrating on the job in hand. Often I don't even notice the views, unless I'm waiting for a saw refill and have a gaze around.

My own personal biggest fear/phobia is working over railings, falling and being impaled:001_rolleyes: Never got over that, after 27-28yrs climbing, still have to focus on the task and try to close my mind to whats underneath. Irrational really.

Funnily enough my boss was about that age when he stopped climbing, he'll still do it though if needed. I remember seeing a pic of a blood stained harness on a spiked fence, I believe the climber survived though