l/r fuel consumption

Johny Walker

Surely it largely depends on tyres, average load being carried on daily basis, condition of roads in your area, whether the town is in flat Lincolnshire or half of it is on a 1:6 slope like Ambleside and how aggressively one drives, etc. etc.

:thumbup1:

I had my double cab for 7 years, and it never did less than 22 on a tank full.

In the last couple of years it hardly ever did any towing and was put into virtual semi retirement. It was used purely for pricing once a week. This is what I would class a "rough idea what a l/r 110 xc crewcab does to the gallon around town ,no towing" as Jonny asked.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have got quite a few of these landrovers and the mpg figures live with the drivers. We gave the old boy that drives the mulcher a 90,. We gave him the car with 40,000 miles on it. He goes along with the traffic and tucks in with the lorries on the motorways and rarely does more than 60mph. He managed to put 280,000 miles on it in 6 years and it always managed 350-400 miles out of its 12 ish gallon tank. You have to bear in mind he was loaded with all the diesel for the day, spares,hydraulic oil and tools, probably half a ton. It also never needed any mechanical components in that time not even a clutch, all it had was its service`s and a grease gun put over it. Now we turn to the 110`s the "boys" use and its sub 25mpg and a new clutch most years and the odd gearbox here and there. The tdi lump is capable of 30+ mpg as many will confirm in nearly two ton of discovery. The problems lay firmly with the drivers.

One lad pulled into the workshop and insisted that one of the 110`s needed a new fuel filter because it would not go over 35mph so the fitter just did as he asked and off he went. A week later he said it was just the same so the fitter wizzed it round the block, , the **** had been driving it for nearly 2 weeks in low range.:jumping38:

Another moron had two clutches in a 110 in a month.We assumed that the clutch that was fitted was duff till I went to site and watched him drive it. He was taking a mini tractor with flail to a scrub clearance job every day and bringing the kit back at night for security reasons. The entrance to the job was up a steep drive and he was backing the best part of 3 ton of trailer up a drive in high range against the trailer brakes ?????????? He did not know there was a reversing toggle to put in on the trailer and did not know there was a low range on the box , if I had not been there that morning it would have been clutch 3 going in it. I am going to stop here because I could write a book on this:laugh1: Land rover will give 30+mpg if driven properly and also give a really good service life but in the hands of morons ???????????

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Most landrovers have been messed about with and injector pumps tweaked by amateurs not knowing what they are doing, so fuel consumption figures are crap when sold on.

I took my injector pump off and took it in for calibration and although I have never measured, for a landrover it is excellent on fuel.

I think so many people are disappointed with fuel consumption because they are buying

Motors that have been tampered with

With a 110 Hard-Top Td5 I used to get 27-29 regularly, occasionally 30+ (just) if on a long run. Towing, especially if heavy loads, it could dip down to 23 or so. I don't do much in towns, but the 27-29 was generally around windy rural roads and quite a lot of forest road driving, also including a bit of field work and some low box or light trailer stuff, so I don't see why this wouldn't be comparable to town driving.

The 4x4`s fuel comparison from what we have here in daily use.

Freelanders td4 - 45 to 55 mpg

landrover 90 - 28 to 35 mpg

landrover 110 - 25 to 30 mpg if not driven by some of our looneys

Range Rover v6 30 to 35 mpg

Disco vans 300tdi - 28 to 35 mpg

Ford ranger - 25 to 30 mpg

Mitzy l200 18 to 25 mpg

Shogun 2.8 25 to 28 mpg

nissan lwb pickup 25 to 30 mpg

And lastly but by far the best for a truck is the poxy old gutless vaxhaul brava at 35 to 40 mpg.

I wont start on the mogs and lorrys you would have a heart attack.

Bob