Beech fell

skyhuck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of pure interest. No criticism. Why not climb and just fell a nice clean stem?

one of the first things i was taught on my cs38/39 was..... Safest place to use a chainsaw is on the ground. If you can straight land a tree without a climb, then do!! As soon as a climber is 6' off the ground you enter into allsorts of risks let alone the opperation itself.

Sorry just wanted to add my angle on that one.

Oh and killer fell dude. Keep slicing. THM

one of the first things i was taught on my cs38/39 was..... Safest place to use a chainsaw is on the ground. If you can straight land a tree without a climb, then do!! As soon as a climber is 6' off the ground you enter into allsorts of risks let alone the opperation itself.

There are always exceptions to these rules, keep an open mind.

Just because you can drop a tree from the deck doesn't mean it's the safest way of getting it down.

Let's say for arguments sake there was an underground gas pipe where Dave felled his beech, felling the tree from ground level onto where the pipe was situated would be just about the most stupid thing you could do.

If your default setting when approaching a tree is 'I should fell the tree from ground level' then you've been brainwashed by NPTC, HSE and LANTRA.

Just because you can drop a tree from the deck doesn't mean it's the safest way of getting it down.

Let's say for arguments sake there was an underground gas pipe where Dave felled his beech, felling the tree from ground level onto where the pipe was situated would be just about the most stupid thing you could do.

If your default setting when approaching a tree is 'I should fell the tree from ground level' then you've been brainwashed by NPTC, HSE and LANTRA.

:thumbup1:

I'm all for stripping a tree out over felling in plenty of circumstances, however on this particular tree which would have involved having to pretty much rig half the crown out thats over the outbuildings I'd say its blatantly obvious why a fell was preferable any day of the week

I agree, I was making the point that you need to arrive at a job with an open mind and be adaptable to the circumstances and recognise that felling from the ground is not always the best or safest option and should certainly not automatically be the first option.

Scotspine1 I think you're missing the point completely, like Steve says that particular tree would have needed a hell of a lot of rigging and lowering to get it down safely (by climbing) due to the extensive targets underneath.

With tree work you should always explore whether there is a method which doesn't involve WAH and take that option if possible.

What is in question, is somebodies judgement who watched that video and thinks climbing is the preferred option when clearly (going on the video - the only evidence available) it isn't.

In addition, not only would climbing be the greater risk (from an operatives point of view) but think how much it'd cost the poor customer for the thing to be dismantled.

I think that when people ( me included ) say why climb when you can strait fell they have accepted the fact that there are no underground pipes , sewers cables etc etc that may be damaged by a strait fell and because of the proximity of other targets that would necessitate the roping down of limbs we are all in agreement that the best option was chosen and a stella job was done .

Your right i did one for the NHS a couple of years ago, whole thing had to be rigged because it had victorian sewers underneath (causing damage hence the removal) Plenty of space to fell but a no, no. Most the time fells are done if the situation presents itself, although dave thinks i should fell more. ;)