current setup... lets see yours! RW

• 3 months later...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone still use just a plain old loop wrapped round your rope a couple of times method or am I the only one?? I look at your fancy thingmabobs with different length whatdyoucallems and I'm lost in the nicest possible way!!??:thumbup:

I'm with you on this one, am a newbie on the forum but have comfortably managed every tree thrown at me in a 20 year career with a self-tied prussik loop. Looking at these setups, I would suggest I've also saved myself a fortune.........:001_tt2:

It's not that black and white imo.

If you have had a go with the nail gun and you only do small fences here and there, the simplicity of a hammer is great.

If you have tendinitis and can't work because you regularly do 500 m fences, then it's time to wake up.

Some builders build sheds, some build skyscrapers.

I've tried the other setups and if I ever get something big and open, out comes the ascender and pantin and grippy boots.

I don't trust SRT, so won't even go there!

Most of the time it's spikes and a strop to half something for a view.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's not that black and white imo.

If you have had a go with the nail gun and you only do small fences here and there, the simplicity of a hammer is great.

If you have tendinitis and can't work because you regularly do 500 m fences, then it's time to wake up.

Some builders build sheds, some build skyscrapers.

I've tried the other setups and if I ever get something big and open, out comes the ascender and pantin and grippy boots.

I don't trust SRT, so won't even go there!

Most of the time it's spikes and a strop to half something for a view.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

You don't trust single rope technique? Not enough ropes for you? Have you been using two ropes? I can see that going from two ropes to one would be nerve racking.

You don't trust single rope technique? Not enough ropes for you? Have you been using two ropes? I can see that going from two ropes to one would be nerve racking.

:sneaky2: now now Kevin, your taking it out of context or maybe I am taking you out if context.

This is not about Steve not trusting a single line, more to do with being so familiar with doubled rope.

I to am trying to get to grips with srt working I have been using srt techniques for several years, but have always worked the tree with my hitchclimber and a doubled rope system. I have never found my climbing to be difficult, so do not trust srt work positioning to actually make my life easier!

Though nothing ventured nothing gained.

I remember when I harked on about srt back in the day, I used to get shot down by the why not use a ladder brigade. Now i feel past it for not using srt to work off.

Marc, I totally understand not trusting a single line. Rope access guys don't. It sas on petzl equipment and rock exotica gear to not trust a single line. Most work related rules state we must be tied in twice when making cuts. I think it makes perfect sense, we use sharp tools in trees. Why trusts a single rope or anchor especially while operating equipment. I don't think it makes much sense honestly. I have been really working on using two ropes instead of just a single rope and I do think my safety has very much improved. Its just not often that you find tree climbers that don't trust themselves with a single line.