How do you become a sub contracter and what do you need???

John Megson 125

Hi guys, I am a 18 year old lad who has just finished a level 3 diploma in Forestry and Arboriculture. I am fresh out of college and I am now facing the hard task of getting a job in the business. Finding a permanent job with a tree surgeon seems to be getting me now where so I am looking at other options like sub contracting.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get started. What I will need and how to advertise my self with sub contracting?

At the moment I have my college qualification, Cs30, Cs38, 2 years of practical experience and most of the required equipment and PPE. What else do I need?

Hi John,

Welcome to Arbtalk. Looking at your quals if you only have cs30 and cs38 no one will take you on. Min you need is cs30 31 38 and 39 along with chipper ticket. If you do have cs31 then you can some one get some where. But most companies look for climbers not ground staff as there are plenty of Groundies but not enough climbers some times.

Best bet ring around, seeing your fresh out of college. Going in aa a part timer then a subby will be alot better. Firms expect a subby to no what they are doing and to fit in straight away not stand there and show you how to use the kit etc.

Hi guys, I am a 18 year old lad who has just finished a level 3 diploma in Forestry and Arboriculture. I am fresh out of college and I am now facing the hard task of getting a job in the business. Finding a permanent job with a tree surgeon seems to be getting me now where so I am looking at other options like sub contracting.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to get started. What I will need and how to advertise my self with sub contracting?

At the moment I have my college qualification, Cs30, Cs38, 2 years of practical experience and most of the required equipment and PPE. What else do I need?

Hi John,

Best option is to call around, be willing to travel a distance. Some firms will only want experienced freelancers (mainly climbers). I've used 3 fresh out of college guys and helped develop their skills over a couple of years, works well for me 2 climbers and 1 groundsman/rescue climber.

In my opinion there is always work for anyone who is realistic about their experience and hard working. As the guys above have gained experience and been able to do more complex rigging/become more efficient at the task the wage goes up accordingly. Personally i prefer people to ring rather than an email in the first instance, to me it shows commitment and you get to have a chat rather than a monotone email.

Go see your local tool shop they sometime know of someone looking for a subby/freelancer, if they dont leave a card.

Perseverance and maybe start a thread mapping your progress, a bit like Mr Silky Fox has done, which id say have a good read of to get some ideas.

Bit of a ramble but hopefully this will have some good points.

I don't want to sound negative but more experience working in the industry would be more beneficial. As a subby/freelancer you are going to be expected to take on any tree and any job in which sometimes can be pretty tricky. Having 2 years experience is only really a start into the industry. Obviously just my thoughts,location can play a big part in what you want to achieve,if you cant gain employment do you think it will be easier finding guys to sub for on a regular basis?. Good luck which ever path you choose.

So you are 18 with 2 years experience, meaning you started your experience at 16.

This experience is whilst at college then????

I only mention this because when you say experience people are going to assume it means full time work experience

You need to be clear about this with employers otherwise you could end up out of your depth.

If you don't have at least a couple of years experience as a climber I would seriously re consider freelancing.

If you're going to do anything as a subbie you need driving license and your own transport above all else.

Said before, but 31 and 39 tickets also really needed if you want to get into climbing, but you could get them once you've got a foot in the door somewhere. You'll also need a lot of determination, getting that foot in the door could be tough. You'll never know until you try though. :thumbup1:

I'm no expert as im fairly new to it all my self so don't take my word as gospel but off the top of my head you will need at least cs30,31,38,39 and chipper ticket, own climbing kit, saws, fuel and ppe, your own public liability insurance, experience with rigging would be beneficial and just generally a wealth of experience and knowledge of the trade. If your fresh out of college I would suggest ringing round and get your foot in the door as a subby groundsman/second climber with a couple of tree firms and work your way up from there. Excuse the punn but you need to work from the ground up so to speak. I've learnt more from just watching climbers than I ever thought I would and as a result my climbing ability has come on leaps and bounds despite not even doing a lot of climbing. With enough hard work, perseverance and determination you can and will achieve your goal. Wish you the best of luck and hope everything turns out as you want which I'm sure it will :thumbup:

All you need to be a sub contractor is to be able to carry out the task given to you quicker than the company thats giving you the work, otherwise they would just do it themselves. So if they price a three day job but sub it to someone who does it in 2 days then everyones happy.

To achieve that you need 5+ years of full time experience.

Your CS units remember are not qulaifications, they are safety certificates. Keep trying to get a job, freelancing or sub contracting is a long way off yet.

You could be a sub contract groundsman easily, ring HMRC to register self employed, ring insurance company's and ask their advise. ring company's in your area to get work. Some may expect to meet on site, some at the yard. If you're expected on site, you're own presentable vehicle, if at the yard you could public transport/walk it

Basic PPE, waterproofs, groundsaw of around 50cc, spare chains, bar, files, maybe fuel

Desirable extras would possibly be heavy trailer license